EAR 834P - Sale or try and repair...

I have an EAR 834P and the volume is decreasing on the left channel. I opened the case and the tubes appear fine. However, there is some browning on the breadboard on one wire (coming from the toroidal power transformer), to the single phase bridge rectifier, and resistor (breadboard: P5, D3).

I have done some simple soldering (ex., DIY bottlehead amp) just not sure about diagnosis this issue.

• Does anyone have any ideas on a possible repair?

Otherwise, I plan to post it on the forum for sale. Just hate to take a loss on the price if it is a simple part replacement.

abp689

Showing 2 responses by tryptich

Nope, "moving with the times" and "time to pull the trigger" as they say. Hopefully I'll be listening to it for another 15 years.

For other's - I'm using a Rega 25, RB330 tonearm with a modified/upgraded 5-pin DIN connector, and a newly retipped van den Hul MC2 Special cartridge. The Rega sits atop an Auralex turntable isolation pad.

***Open to suggestions/recommendations for an interconnect running from the Rega's 5-pin RB330 tonearm to the EAR 834P and then another interconnect from the EAR 834P to my preamp (Anthem Statement D2).

I have an Ear 834P that has been in storage since 2009. I haven''t plugged it in or listened to it (same thing I guess). 

I opened it up this morning and found a fair amount of humidity rust and at least one damaged tube. It wasn't underwater but the storage unit humidity for 15 years didn't do me any favors. I have photos I can attach via email. Not sure if this is a worthwhile effort to recondition?