Dynaco PAT 4 Pre-Amp ....Why is it Bashed??

I just bought this Dynaco PAT 4 Pre-amp.
AMP : Paired it with Emerald Physics Class D  100.2 SE amp
and 
SPEAKERS:  Mark Audio full range P12 
 I am puzzled why  there are so many negative comments  being posted regarding this pre-amp sounding harsh and bright.
It sounds good to me...clear and detailed.
Any PAT 4 Users .....comments?  ( in stock condition only)
thank you

rocky1313
The PAT-4 was first introduced as a kit along with the Dynaco 400 SS amp. I built many of these on the side while i was working at Bendini building tube amps and i sold them as complete units. I remember back then that depending on who did the build that units could sound different from each other, i estimate that i built and sold over a 100.

Personally i never liked the way they sounded they had what i considered what was to become the classic SS sound that we lived with for several decades.

Anyone  know anything about Frank van Alstine? I have a chance to buy a Pat 4 restored by him and am wondering if that rings a bell with anyone here.

I am tempted to buy a Dynaco PAS3 and ST70 built by Kenny Russell.  Kenny's units are beautifully built and to the extent you can tell via computer, sound great.  Check out Kenny's webpage at: GetDynaco.com  .

This reviewer is very low key and I appreciate his reviews.

All new Dynaco PAS3 by Kenny Russell - YouTube

Dynaco ST70 update - YouTube

Anyone  know anything about Frank van Alstine? I have a chance to buy a Pat 4 restored by him and am wondering if that rings a bell with anyone here.

Frank has been doing this sort of work for decades here in town. Its likely not the stock circuit. Frank has his own stuff he often installs in older Dynaco chassis.