Dual Subwoofers?

How about the idea of a separate subwoofer for each channel, using passthrough to bookshelf speakers.  What say you?

128x128mikeydee

In the living room we use a pair of KEF KC62s that integrate with LS50 Wireless II speakers controlled by an a KEF app that runs on an iPad.  Each speaker has an output to a sub.  In the media room we use a pair of Velodyne SMS-1s that take LR output from an Ayre KX-5 Twenty preamp and send room corrected output to one of a pair of HGS-15s.  I'm not sure about the stereo contribution of the subs, but pairs of subs are certainly effective.

db 

As it’s been said, two is better than one.  Being a bass head I finally broke down and implemented a (DEBRA) four subwoofer system and the improvement is remarkable. An immersive experience, better imaging, not just more bass but a new window into recordings. I will never go back to a single or dual sub setup. There’s lots of online information on setting up multi-sub systems or you could purchase an AudioKinesis Swarm. 

If you’re running amp to sub to bookshelf and high passing the bookshelf speakers then it seems to be essentially using a sub for each channel and if you’re running subs that high (80+) I’d situate them very close to the speakers to get ’full-range’ speakers.

Otherwise, if not high-passing the mains, I might consider two asymmetric locations for the two subs (not necessarily by them) for better low bass integration in the room and low pass them lower than normal. Depends on the small speakers I’d say.

I moved from an REL B1 to three active SVS subs and added another sub recently for four total, set up asymetrically in my main room. It works superbly for really low end bass, and stays out of the way when not needed.  I'm a +1 on D.B.A. setups.