DSP Active Crossover

I'm considering trying a DSP-based active crossover in my system. I did a search to see how much this has been discussed, and most of the posts are pretty old or about active speakers. DSP technology has changed a fair amount in the last 15-20 years.

My system is digital only, and my speakers are 3-way, so it's not particularly complicated. I've been looking at the Danville Signal dspNexux 2/8 which has two channel in (with digital inputs) and eight balanced analog outputs. This appears to be available with AKM AK4499 DACs which are fairly well regarded sigma-delta DACs (although I don't know how good their implementation is).

This product has a fairly rich DSP software environment for programming filters, time delays, etc., so it should be fairly straightforward to set it up to replace my passive crossovers. 

My biggest reservations are 1) giving up my Denafrips Terminator+ DAC and nice-quality DIY preamp, and 2) using the DAC's digital volume adjustments. 

This unit is about $3K (maybe a bit more with the AK4499 DACs), so isn't terribly expensive. From the limited research I've done, this unit appears to be higher sound quality than the miniDSP or DEQX boxes, but I could be wrong. All my amps have balanced inputs, so I'd prefer to use a unit with balanced outputs. 

So, what I'm wondering is if the benefits of active crossovers and dsp equalization will outweigh the lesser DAC quality (assuming this is the case) and lack of analog volume control (currently using a relay switched attenuator). I'm also wondering if there are other dsp audio processors that I should consider (digital inputs, at least six channels out, ideally with balanced outputs).

128x128jaytor

Showing 1 response by deep_333

The minidsp SHD (2 way digital xover) uses an ESS 9028 DAC chip......pretty good. The Audiophile Junkie (see his Youtube channel) uses this Minidsp SHD in his super system. I posted this on a couple of other threads.....but I cannot stop talking about this....so here goes again.

I have been quietly following this thread. have a feeling that the OP will be thoroughly disappointed with the minidsp SHD since he appears to be used to a Denafrips dac and whatever preamp he’s got.

For my attempted application, i tried to replace the Denafrips Hermes+Venus and a Yamaha C5000 with the minidsp SHD in pursuit of an active crossover. The SHD is awful in comparison and i just got rid of it.

To each his own....(with the theory crafting n all).