Does this speaker exist or am I being ridiculous?

Here's the laundry list folks:

- Full range (27Hz or below) - no need for subs
- Balanced sound - maybe a bit on the warm side
- Good at all the usual stuff - soundstage, imaging, detail retrieval, does the disappearing act
- Will fill a large room with sound
- Can be placed effectively within 18 inches of wall
- Great WAF - ie. really nice wood cabinetry, unobtrusive visually
- $3500 max new or slightly used
- Flexible on required amplification

Am I on drugs to think I can get all this?
Ag insider logo xs@2xitball
published low frequency responses quite often don't translate to effective deep bass or balanced sound. the other stuff your looking for is all over the place...there are hundreds of choices
Post removed 
In our old place, we had out Von Schweikert VR2s about 18 inches from the wall. Not ideal placement, but acceptable. I have to admit they don't have the same pop w/o the subs, but they still do a nice job with the full range, and the WAF factor should be high. Plus, in your range, you could add the matching sub at some point if your wife would agree. Of course, I'm a big fan of VSA. We haven't auditioned full range speakers since '03, but we've been thrilled with our decision and felt at the time that the VR2s out performed a lot of more expensive speakers.

Tvad, I've got to agree with your post and I'm glad that you had the chance to audition the new Silverline Preludes. To me, they deliver reference quality sound over most of the audible frequency band at a very low price. But I do have a couple of quick points to add.

The current version has only been available since November 2006, so if one buys a used pair, it may not be the version you heard. The original Preludes were not quite as well-balanced and smooth in the high frequencies, but are comparable in most other ways.

They do not come in "real wood veneer" but the simulated vinyl veneer looks reasonably attractive (although the Rosewood looks more like dark Walnut to me).

Beyond that, bass freaks that require ultra-low, room-shaking bass can always add a decent subwoofer or two. I use mine with a sub about half the time, depending on my mood. As you've implied, bass of the Preludes is substantial, detailed, and satisfying without a sub on most material. This has as much to do with the high quality of the Prelude's bass reproduction as it does with its ultimate bass extension. Cheers!
Post removed