Does it have to sound good for you to like it?

I listen mainly to classical music.  The SQ of classical recordings is all over the place, not nearly as consistent other types of music.  Recording large orchestras is a complicated and difficult endeavor. Smaller ensembles are easier to record. So, if you listen to a great performance of an orchestral (or any) recording but have trouble with the sound will you avoid listening to it?

128x128rvpiano

@viridian 

Not to imply that is not as valid a choice as any, just dont understand it.

I don't either, unless it involves replicating what one hears night after night, in a particular venue from a particular group of musicians. 

@soix 

I’ve built my system and it has evolved so it just sounds “right” to me, which may have little to do with if it sounds that way to someone else.  I think the goal of achieving “live” sound is probably a misnomer and may more aptly be described as a desire for everything just to sound “right” however each individual perceives that. 

+1 

I find when I play a lousy recording, it makes my start thinking, is there something wrong with my System, lol....please no thanks.  

I think most all of us prefer listening to a good recording but if the music that I love is only available on a poor recording I will still listen to it. 

London Calling by the CLASH, was recorded to sound rough. But was quite smooth. Don't sign anything you don't understand.