Does an Audioquest Niagra 1200 limit amplifier dynamics?

Hi, I have a Belles 150A Reference amp driving Vandersteen 2E sig speakers, which I don't play loud at all.  I currently have everything else plugged into a Shunyata Hydra 6, but felt it limited the amp's dynamics, so it's plugged directly into the dedicated line outlet.  Would an Audioquest Niagra 1200 do better? 

kb54

Showing 2 responses by stevebohnii

I have a AQ Niagara 1200 and think it’s a nice conditioner. In my system, the 1200 makes everything sound good and I think this is due to it being over filtered. So, this is the question, do you want a conditioner that makes everything sound good or do you want a more revealing conditioner that identifies the true characteristics of a recording. I bought an Equi=Core 1800 MKIII which is a balanced conditioner and believe it reveals the true sound of individual recordings. If the recording is bad, the Equi=Core will let me know. But if the recording is excellent, you can hear every instrument and vocal as if you were there. It also depends on your entire system and the synergy between your components. I recommend going to your hi-fi dealer and having them let you take a 1200 home for the weekend to find out how it meshes with your system and if you like it or not. 

I agree with @carlsbad regarding conditioners (at least the 1200) reduces the rapid current changes which limits the amp. I unplugged my Atoll IN300 from the 1200 and plugged it directly to the wall and my amp came alive again. I’m not saying the 1200 is not a nice conditioner, it’s just not for me. By the way, I have one if anyone wants to buy it. 🤪