Do I need power conditioning

Hello everyone.
Need some help here. My system - Esoteric P700 transported modified with Trichord Research clock & digital board with power supplies; Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC; Krell KRC-HR pre-amp; Krell FPB300c power amp; Monitor Audio Studio 20SE speakers; FPB fed by dedicated mains supply; Rest from a home made distribution box (which outperforms a VH Audio Hotbox) fed from the wall by an Eichmann Express power cable; then Pure Note Sigma power cable to KRC-HR; & VH AUdio flavour 4 to rest of components.

Problem - sometimes, the system sounds wonderful with a sound stage so encompassing that you hear ambience & echoes clearly from behind the listening position. Othertimes, it loses its magic.

Question 1) - Do I need power conditioning;

Question 2) - If yes, which conditioner would you recomment.

Any help & advise will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
solentgreen

Showing 2 responses by jw94055

I formerly worked for a public power company. Audio equipment is designed for 120w/60cycle. The power coming from your outlets does deviate (at times) from that. Also, there is "crud" (RF, etc.). Pretend your system is a main frame computer that needs clean power. Act accordingly. Contrary to Bombaywalla, I have never heard a system sound worse because of a power conditioner. Be forewarned, clean power is clean power and there is a lot of snake oil being sold in the name of "super clean". The power coming to the outlet is traveling through 15 cent a foot Romex. I believe every system would benefit from a BASIC conditioner that has enough capacity for the system. Anything beyond that is placebo.
Mr. Bill, Tripp Lite is a company that has been around for a long time (like decades). They don't make product for the "audio" market; they just make good line conditioners. Put Tripp Lite into Google. There are a lot of electronic/computer equipment outlets that carry the brand. They make different models for different requirements. Make sure the one you pick has the capacity you need for your system (outlets, output watts) and smile at the price. You won't be able to brag to your audio friends, but you will have a conditioner that will do the trick.