do i need a prog dvd player for my sharp 9000

hi guys can someone answer me back,do ineed a prog dvd or will my sony 7700 do th job with my projector,thanks.
hifibob
hifibob
I would get a scalar before I spend a lot of money on a progressive scan DVD player. If you are looking to spend little money, stick with the 7700 as a poorly implemented progressive scan player will be bested by your 7700.
hi slartibartfast,thanks for the reply,its my understanding that most scalers dont accept progressive signals anyway,if that is the case then i should take your advice and purchase a scaler like the quadscan elite for my 7700 send it 480i thru the scaler and out at 720p to my projector by passing its internal scaler.sounds good i think!wish i was more confident on how it all works,thanks for the help.
hifibob
My opinion is that the $300 Sony progressive player I know own vastly outperforms the 7700 (which I also once owned) into any device capable of receiving its signal (such as your Sharp). It totally blew my mind to go to a cheaper product and get a huge, huge performance improvement. The leap to progressive is very significant.
You should get a scaler. If your budget allows, get a Faroudja Native Rate Series (720p). You should know that, depending on when you got your Sharp (before or after January 2002) you will not be able to bypass its internal scaler even when feeding it with its native resolution. Sharp is looking into this issue and should be releasing an upgrade soon. Even without bypassing Sharp's internal scaler, you will get a great image using the Fardoudja and its DCDi engine. The image will be way better than when using a prog. scan dvd player (even the ones with the Faroudja chip - Kenwood, Philips, etc...) for deinterlacing and using Sharp's internal scaler.
hi flavioleoni thanks for the response. so if i get the faroudja ,does that mean i can keep my sony7700 and pass it thru the nr,an dont need a progressive dvd player,and will the nr help my dish 6000 get a better picture?I bought my 9000 dec19 from japan they were supposed to have the internal scaler be able to be bypassed by dec 1st,its what ive been told i dont know for sure my projector is not hooked up yet still working on theater room,and im trying to get all the right equipment for the setup. can you tell me how i can find out for sure,thanks for the help flav.
bob
Yes. You can use any interlaced dvd player with Faroudja NRS (so you don't need a prog scan dvd player). It should also enhace the picture of your dish, but it will not look as good as your dvd picture.

I may have mistaken the dates of the Sharp. You should look your serial number to see what firmware you have. There are tons of threads at avsforum concerning this matter, so please look there to see if your Sharp is able to bypass its internal scaler.
thanks flavioleoni you have made the most sense thus far,and iam most gratefull.
bob