Do I Need a Dedicated Streamer?

Hello everyone,

As the title states, I am still unsure of if I need a dedicated streamer and if it would increase the fidelity of my music compared to how I am listening at the moment. Which is using AirPlay 2 from my iPhone to my Hegel H590 Integrated amp.

I know that the DAC in the Hegel H590 is considered quite good and it was one of the reasons that I bought the amplifier to begin with. However, would I get a better input using a dedicated streamer for around $1000 (such as the Cambridge CXNV2 for example) or would I be better off leaving things as is?

I am just not sure if airplaying music to the Hegel is degrading the signal in comparison to a streamer that would pull its own data and send it directly to the amplifier? Also, would improving my router placement and wifi signal make any difference to the sound since my Hegel is hardwired using a mesh wifi system?

I am open to switching streaming platforms if I can gain something out of it such as resolution but I’m not sure if apple music is the issue in any of this.

If the answer to the title is a no. I am curious what I would need to take the quality of my listening experience to the next level or where money would be better spent to achieve that. I do have acoustic panels in my room and have done my fair share of research on speaker placement already.

The only thing that I have been considering in the near-future would have to be the isoacoustics gaia 1 feet.

My equipment:

Hegel H590 Integrated

KEF Reference 5 Meta

Metra Velox Speaker Cables

Thanks for reading.

danb99

Showing 4 responses by deep_333

In case y'all didn't know, all streamers are essentially  SBC computers ( modded gaming itx boards, hidden away, etc). It looks to me like some of you boys are getting robbed dropping 10k, 20k, etc on such streamers by vultures taking advantage of your pc hardware/software knowledge gaps.

- Any dac worth its salt should have a ASIO optimized driver for your PC. Install it and ENABLE ASIO, for starters! 

- Improve the overall power and ethernet infrastructure for all your components, i.e., dedicated power line, power filter, ethernet filter, jitterbug, etc..or build a audio optimized PC from scratch.

After you do such things, I'll eat my hat if you heard any "improvements" from a vulture priced streamer over audio optimized PC infrastructure.

A PC will also give full flexibility for all kinds of software tweaks, etc. You won't be locked in with some crappy glitchy software on some thieving vulture's 20k "streamer".

Granted some of these streaming servers are overpriced. However holding up a PC and Windows as the magic answer and calling all others crappy, glitchy software uncovers a significant "knowledge gap" on your part when it comes to operating systems

Sure, sure, carry on bro! May the exquisite sound land on ya from the "streamer" like never before.

@ghdprentice

Clearly you’re a smart person and had a lot of smart people working for you. Here’s something to think about. You say noise is crucial to audio performance. Surely transmitting and storing audio data isn’t as important as the data of the multinational corporations that you worked for. Yet did you ever suggest or did your team ever employ ’audiophile’ servers, switches or cables in a corporate network? I’m guessing no. Commercial, off the shelf hardware is perfectly capable of storing data and transmitting it from point A to point B without errors - whether it’s files, audio or video streams.

Its very doubtful that the average "Director of IT" goes through the rigor of atleast one EE degree from a ABET acredited school (or a computer engineering degree atleast padded with some EE tech electives). The latter kind is usually sitting somewhere else... slaving away in the engineering trenches, not serving as "Director of IT"

If he knew anything, he would know that a kickass audio optimized PC could be built for well under a 1000 bucks in 2023. Hence, he’s thoroughly convinced that as he goes up to 10k, 20k, 30k, etc, magic just descends on him, pours like the Niagara...Well, atleast he gets a beautifully milled chassis and some pretty knobs (jewelry, for sure). As for me, i can drop 20k, no problem (cash’s not the issue). But, i certainly despise the idea of a dumass robbing me/snickering away as he sells me crap that i have beat with a diy solution in my basement.

I intended (at some point) to create a tech talk thread on how to pick some components and do a few minor tweaks towards building a audio optimized PC/"streamer" (make it easier for some diy types who are newer to these things).. But, then considering the sheer amount of accountants and dealers peddling 20k streamers/plaguing this forum, i decided against it. If enough guys with ulterior motives gang up on ya, even a sincere knowledge share effort can turn ya into the "bad guy".

Some of these guys buying a 20k streamer must also have thoroughly incompetent DDCs/DACs, i suppose!!

"Bad Guy" out.....😁

Once again, a measurementalist feigning objectivity tosses logic to the wind and resorts to an ad hominem, the perhaps laziest of all loigical fallacies:

Again... some of you guys apparently have completely incompetent distressed boxes for DDCs and DACs that only a 20k idiot box streamer can save them.

Ad gibbergibberinum....