Do Dealers think it is sinful..........

..... to give a customer a break on the price of high end audio equipment? is there something ethically wrong with this? why is it that i can negotiate down the price of a car or real estate many thousands of dollars, but i cant even get a discount on something the dealer (1) doesnt stock, (2) will not let you bring home for a day. i feel that when you are spending big $, like 8k + on a sale there should be some give and take. what do you think?
avnut
Avnut, I agree. As a matter of fact, with so many great websites where ordinary people like you and me can buy and sell equipment at an enormous discount to retail, there is less need for the brick and mortar retail store. I'm in California, I was loyal to one dealer imparticular, but since I became aware of Audiogon and others, I spend more time doing research, I will listen to equipment at the retail stores, then I'll look for a private party selling it on the web.
It varies from dealer-to-dealer; Some do and some don't. Some dealers allow 100% trades, usually within a year, on something more expensive. Something has to make this do-able. You paying 100% for the item is one way. Also, if you want the item, chances are A LOT of other people do too. The saying is: "In retail electronics you either can't get it or you can't sell it.". This gives the dealer the advantage. The cool thing about a free market economy is that you, the consumer, always have the right shop somewhere else.
I have always been able to negotiate 15 to 25 percent off of retail and as much as 70 percent of for demo models of cables. I make it clear to them that if they dont discount I will take my business elsewhere but I also make sure they get most of my business. I could have bougth almost all of my products cheaper from here but I wouldnt have known hat to buy. They let me borrow equipment for long periods of time and always considered my wants with recommendations. I think the service was worth the extra money. I think dealers will do what you mentioned above but you have to build a reputation with them. If you are always using there equipment for demonstrations and the expertise for buying used equipment from other people why should the dealer put the time into you.