Do Countries Have a "House" Sound

I've been mulling over whether countries that manufacture audio equipment produce a sound peculiar to them. For instance, do you automatically assume gear from Germany has more an engineered, detailed quality whereas the UK, for instance, might have more PRAT.

Is there anything to this idea?
gareneau

Showing 4 responses by zd542

The US really doesn't have a house sound. Popular brands like Rowland, Ayre, McIntosh, Levinson, Krell, ARC, CJ and many others, sound more different than alike.
I think that way too many people put too much faith into studies. Someone's always doing a study on something. How do you know that they're findings are accurate, or at the very least, tell the complete story?
"Nonoise, "A few months back I listened to a FM broadcast about a scientist who discovered that cures and remedies can be vastly different due to different diagnosis because of cultural beliefs. For example, migraines are thought to be due to circulatory problems in the U.S., digestive problems in France and kidney problems in Germany. The remedies are all different but there may be a common thread in there, somewhere, and science should now look at that data to sort out a commonality.""

I don't see how that can be, for a couple of reasons. First, if the cure for the same illness is different from culture to culture, that would imply that you're going beyond science. Assuming that one of the cures you list for migraines is correct, then the others can't be.

Another issue is how do you even know that culture plays a part at all? What about Frances culture would lead them to believe migraines are a kidney problem, as opposed to something else?

Maybe you're right, but I don't see the connection in all of this.
If Japanese and English societies are so different from the US in ways that cause them to make audio equipment that's better suited for their own cultures, then why do they sell more products over here, than they do in their own countries?