Distributed Bass Array configuration

Please, I don't want to debate the merits of the DBA nor of those who espouse it. I am considering adding two more subwoofers to a system that has two already. To those who use a DBA,I am interested in how you have configured them, specifically--
  1. Do you run in mono, or do you split the array to run in stereo?
  2. What is your approach to setting phase (delay) among speakers that may be facing different directions and are different distances from the listener?
Thanks!
mike_in_nc

Showing 1 response by tomic601

Flat in room and or at listening position is just a starting point for great bass. Time, phase and Harmonics and the superb transition to mains with high pass is crucial. More sources ( subs ) in the room is a simple averaging machine for amplitude… great for sine waves… not so great for the rich harmonics above the magical oft cited 80 HZ line.  This is a big hint…. Play a decent recording of a scaling acoustic bass w eyes closed… image move ? (!Wales gets it, Eric surfed up next to it w Orchestral, a small Cello ensemble… I am guessing it aint all mono for them ) Glad the OP is at 95%, wonderful place to be but like any good audiophile questing for even better !!
of course use test tones, rta, good microphone… and listen. 
Fun thread but needs more cowbell and bass players…