DISCUSSION: "It only comes out at night". Does anyone else have this experience!?

In my listening experience, whatever system you have, whatever components, whatever the material, medium, one thing always seems to remain constant. It ALWAYS sounds better in the deep and still of the night!!!

Is it because night time is generally quieter? Is it because the world of electronics is then shielded from the SUN? Is it because there is less demand on the electrical service?

Whatever it is, there is one thing I know for sure, music sounds better late into the night!

kmckenn

Had this same experience, that is until I put in a dedicated 20 amp line and purchased a PS Audio P20.  Power conditioning is a must and it has to be with a product that has super low impedance.  The grid is super noisy.  I am not necessarily pushing PS Audio but I am a fan of power regeneration and in my experience it will get you the best sound at all times of day.  Now it is always midnight with regard to my sound.  I also keep my kit on standby always. Also, during the day, you may want to try a eye sleep mask.  I know that may sound silly but if have found it puts you in a different space when you cannot see anything and can just focus on the sound.  

@gumbedamit  could be interesting to watch. Where might a fellow like myself find such an alleged video sir!?

@axpert ,

"For most, in addition to the factors that you mention, the human body tends to go into a more relaxed state, at least for most people anyhow."

Definitely true for me, but tiredness creeps up on me a little earlier nowadays. However, if I can make it to after 2am I usually start to wake up again.

If most people are either morning larks or night owls, then I'm in the latter group, as I suspect that most music lovers are.

I think we can be sure Romeo wasn't wooing Juliet first thing.

@perazzi28 

"A simple environmental factor-darkness or a lack of light plays a significant roll to sharpen our hearing.  This simple factor allows our brain to decrease visual processing and devote more focused cerebral attention to our hearing."

Makes sense.

There's just a lot less need to be on alert at night.

For a start there's no need to keep checking your smartphone every 20/30 minutes.

Or to worry about the doorbell ringing.

Apropos the OP's original query, ask yourself, no matter what time of day it might be when you sit down with your system to listen to something new/old/borrowed/blue; Do you find yourself listening with your eyes closed ... ?? Reading the preceding made me realise this is with the majority of people the default "listening" mode. Your 'wetware' is told to concentrate on one sense and automatically (temporarily) attenuates others, especially sight.

Listening in a darkened room or at night just helps this process. You're probably still sitting there at night, listening, with your eyes closed.