DISCUSSION: "It only comes out at night". Does anyone else have this experience!?

In my listening experience, whatever system you have, whatever components, whatever the material, medium, one thing always seems to remain constant. It ALWAYS sounds better in the deep and still of the night!!!

Is it because night time is generally quieter? Is it because the world of electronics is then shielded from the SUN? Is it because there is less demand on the electrical service?

Whatever it is, there is one thing I know for sure, music sounds better late into the night!

kmckenn

Showing 2 responses by cd318

Maybe, maybe not but I've felt for years that all of my cars were quieter, smoother and nicer to drive at night.

Unfortunately, they'd usually return to being old bangers the very next day!

Perhaps it's really something to do with less background ambient noise?

Circadian rhythms?

@axpert ,

"For most, in addition to the factors that you mention, the human body tends to go into a more relaxed state, at least for most people anyhow."

Definitely true for me, but tiredness creeps up on me a little earlier nowadays. However, if I can make it to after 2am I usually start to wake up again.

If most people are either morning larks or night owls, then I'm in the latter group, as I suspect that most music lovers are.

I think we can be sure Romeo wasn't wooing Juliet first thing.

@perazzi28 

"A simple environmental factor-darkness or a lack of light plays a significant roll to sharpen our hearing.  This simple factor allows our brain to decrease visual processing and devote more focused cerebral attention to our hearing."

Makes sense.

There's just a lot less need to be on alert at night.

For a start there's no need to keep checking your smartphone every 20/30 minutes.

Or to worry about the doorbell ringing.