Discuss The Viv Lab Rigid Arm

I am trying to do my due diligence about this arm. I am just having a hard time getting my head around this idea of zero overhang and no offset. Does this arm really work the way it is reported to do?

neonknight

Thx. It hardly was worth it to pay extra for DHL, especially since my cartridge is new and far from needing a new stylus.

I just put my MP-500 on my Viv Labs arm (speaking of the thread topic) and it sounds way better than on the SME 3012R I've had it on before. Usually the two are pretty comparable, but maybe the lightness of the Viv is an advantage with this cart--even tho it's compliance is a low 8.5, according to the VE database.

I’ve “discovered” that alignment is important, using the supplied template. I aligned for the first cartridge I auditioned on the Viv (Ortofon MC7500). Since then I’ve simply been swapping out different cartridges each mounted in a different CF headshell without bothering to re-check alignment. Recently I noticed that SQ with my Dynavector 17D3 was not up to snuff compared to a previous audition of the same cartridge. I had remounted the DV in a different headshell and the cartridge by chance was at the extreme end of the slots in the headshell. Thus alignment was off by about a centimeter too close to the spindle. This would place the null point in the runout grooves or even on the label. Correction of this error resulted in a huge improvement in SQ, 17D3 now sounding better than ever in any other tonearm.

On the MP500, I think the spec is for 100 Hz. You have to convert that to 10Hz by multiplying by a factor between 1.7 and 2.0.  So that would put the compliance at 10Hz at ~14 to 17cu, which makes more sense.  The VE database more often than not should not be trusted.  Or "trust but verify".