Disappointing Evening

I had some dinner guest's over last evening. I had my main system warming up just in case there was some interest from them in audio. I have a second system that was playing when they arrived. It's a Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 9000 that my inlaws gave me a few years back. Well soon enough a couple of them were commenting about the good music, so I asked if they would like to hear my pride and joy system, mostly all tube gear that (IMO) looks pretty cool with all the tubes lit up and sounds way better than the B&O stuff. No interest at all in the tube system and they hovered around the B&O loving the way the glass door opened and the arm moved to each CD. Boy was I insulted, all the time, money and energy I have in my tube system!
markpao
In summing up what others have said, the system in our family room is lower than "low fi". I have intended to upgrade it since we moved in 10 yrs ago; but every time we have family and friends over, there are three different conversations plus a movie going at the same time. No one inquires, or even looks in the den. You would think there was an anaconda in the den. That's what everyone thinks about my "high end" stereo.
I gave up trying to impress anyone with my great stereo!After looking at my system ,one person commented ,I have a Bose wave that probably sounds just as good as your system,and cost a lot less!People in general,,will spend a ton of money on cars,shoes,video games,computers,,,,but cringe at the thought of spending more than a couple hundred on a sound system!,I enjoy it,,and thats all that matters!
I am tired of hearing about WAF and women having different priorities. It's a cliché that a lot of male "audiophiles" keep up. Why? I don't know, maybe they only know specific types of women for a reason. The fact is that most people don't care about good sound but the music itself and can't separate the sound from the music. This requires active listening and that can only be done as a singular activity. Most people's ears are not trained for this, they don't have the patience, are just not interested, or there are other reasons. And if we are talking about 95% of the population who doesn't care that also includes 95% of men. I know as many men as women who could never get excited about the gear. Any audiophile women out there who have a HAF or BAF problem?
Audiophile woman married to non-audiophile man, someone who couldn't care less about this stuff? She made a poor choice so she is bound to have many problems and "acceptance factors".
Mrtennis,

"are people so insecure that they want or need to impress ?"

You were being sarcastic with this question right? You weren't serious...tell me/us you really were kidding, right?

The human existence is a continual series of 'how to impress', whether its a car, a new dress, special make up, hair plugs, lyposuction, botox injections, a new fence, a new pool, a pool table, special wheels, losing ten pounds to fit into 34" waist again, (almost there)a new Jag, (best friend), naming a company after yourself,(guilty) buying artwork that, after a bit, like everything else, you don't even notice, using a smoother voice when you know it's a really good looking girl calling, sucking in your stomach when she first sees you, standing up straight, to show that you're actually 6'1", spending a long time picking out glasses.

Our (almost) entire economy is based on impressing others.

My question is, who DOESN'T?

Good listening,
Larry