Digital separates or all in one music hub

My digital front end is lacking and I would like to upgrade my DAC as well as get a digital streamer. As of now I currently stream tidal with my MacBook Pro through a dragonfly cobalt into my integrated amplifier. So there is a lot of room for improvement. With that being said, would it be better to invest into a single unit such as a marantz SACD 30n or Arcam ST60 (just examples) that have everything I would want in one package. Or would I get better performance if I were to invest into a dedicated streamer, DAC, and SACD/CD player?

also how much am I really missing out on by listening through my MacBook the way that I am? Would it be worth while for me to get a less expensive streamer such as a used bluesound node while I save for something better?

james1911
How do people here feel about the Lumin products such as the Lumin D2 and T2 which are both a streamer and DAC in one.

we are e a lumin dealer tjhe d2 and t are both excellent

they have every major feature you would want

great sound

good app

built in tidal quobuzz spotify

apple airplay

roon mqa

frequent updates

the t2 can even morph into a usb transport.

Dave and Troy

Audio intellect

lumin dealers

Be careful with Lumin as the D2 does not support Tidal Connect.

https://www.luminmusic.com/streaming-services.html

A streamer and separate DAC would provide greater flexibility.

FWIW, I have a Pro-ject Stream Box Ultra S2 streamer that has sounded quite good. I got it as a "starter" streamer, but have compared it to an Auralic Mini streamer and a $8.5k Naim NDX 2 used as a streamer. I’m sure there may be differences in sound quality between streamers, but couldn’t hear a difference in sound between the Pro-ject and the Naim used as a streamer.

I do like the really small size of the Pro-ject streamer. The fact that it fits nicely on one shelf with my DAC takes away one of the big drawbacks of having a separate streame and DAC for me.

I also think that streaming standards are likely to change over time so I think that there is merit to keeping the streamer separate from the DAC. I do like the simplicity of integrated audio equipment when I think standards are less likely to change such as for integrated amps.

would I get better performance if I were to invest into a dedicated streamer, DAC, and SACD/CD player?

Absolutely!  Plus, as both technologies continue to evolve at a rapid rate, why would you wanna be stuck with one if/when the other has a breakthrough you’d like to have.  I’d recommend an iFi Stream with upgraded power supply and then choose the DAC that best exhibits the sound qualities you’re looking for.  Also, an optical interface between your router and streamer would also be a significant upgrade and can be done for only $80, but that’s a subject for another thread.  Bottom line — GO SEPARATES WITH DIGITAL.  FWIW, and best of luck.