Digital music questions

I'm somewhat new to hi res digital audio and I'm looking for some tips. I have been building my system and have purchased McIntosh c2700, which has a DAC built in, a 462 amp, and B&W 802d4s. Using Apple Music, I have been streaming music through a Macbook Pro via a USB cable to the DAC of the c2700 preamp.

The McIntosh preamp states the streaming quality is 44.1 kHz, which seem to be the low end of high-res streaming. I currently have so many subscriptions, including Sirius XM for the cars and Apple Music for my family, and more recently Nugs for concerts, (not to mention video subscriptions...seems it never ends), so I was hoping not to add another paid subscription.

That being said, am I leaving a lot on the table? Would a dedicated streamer sound a lot better than the Macbook Pro? Are there streamers without DACs, so I can use the McIntosh DAC without purchasing redundant equipment? I understand I cannot use Apple Music to get high res audio to the preamp, as they only provide it through Apple equipment at this time. Can I get a streamer that uses the DAC of the c2700 preamp? Finally, do I then need to add another subscription, such as Tidal or Qobuz, to get high res audio? 

Thanks....it's a lot of questions, but I'm sure someone here can help!

cmb13

@cmb13 

You ask a lot of really great questions.

I was using Qobuz for a couple of years.  My wife really wanted to use Apple Music, and like you, I didn’t feel like paying for an extra subscription.  I use the streaming service primarily to sample new recordings, and then if I really like something I buy the CD or SACD, and then either play the disc or burn it to my NAS and play it from the streamer.

I play Apple Music on my Cambridge Audio CXN 60 streamer.  If I use an Android device I use Chromecast.  If I am using my iPad then it’s AirPlay.  Chromecast sounds better.  The CXN60 comes with a DAC,but I only use it as a streamer, running it into my Bryston DAC3.  Yes, I have paid for DAC that I am not using, although the included DAC isn’t bad and I suppose will be a backup DAC for my entire system if something happens to the Bryston.  It should be possible to get streamers without DAC that offer Chromecast and AirPlay.

Like you, for years I streamed from a MacBook, reasoning that it shouldn’t sound different than a dedicated streamer.  As others have noted here, even budget equipment such as Bluesound or my CA ($1100) easily best the sound of computer audio.  For me it as the lack of grain andquieter backgrounds, and also the joys of not hearing my music mixed in with extraneous computer sounds.  I also prefer an audio component to look like an audio component and not a PC

I use a Bluesound Node connected via coax to the DAC1 in my McIntosh MAC7200. Bluesound's coax connection bypasses it's internal DAC enabling me to use the MAC's internal DAC and features. It sounds great.

The Bluesound interface / control is via my iPhone and is very stable and easy to use. My Bluesound node is connected via Ethernet to my router.

My paid streaming services are Amazon Prime and SiriusXM. Both are native to the Bluesound, so I'm not streaming thru my phone. The Bluesound also has iHeart, TuneIn, and others that don't require a subscription.

My next big upgrades will be a Mac DA2 and an MS500 streamer.

Your C2700 uses Mac's top of the line DA2 - enjoy!

Thank you for all the detailed and thought out responses. This is a great forum. I’m going to have to do some research, pick one out and give it a shot, I suppose!

Another vote for a BlueSound Node through an external DAC. In my case a Denefrips Pontus ii 12th. Remember, you can spend a large fortune to result in a minuscule change to sound quality. And there’s a difference between “better” sound and “different” sound. Only you can decide which it is. 

Sorry - forgot to mention that Apple Music isn't native to the Bluesound and if you use it with a Bluesound, it will have to be streamed thru your phone and then via AirPlay to the Bluesound.