Digital is far better than vinyl

I have invested a decent sum of money into my digital setup, including a decent streamer (Innuos Zenith MK3), a very good dac (Denafrips Terminator 2), Eno filter, and good cabling. But after being told by many here that vinyl is vastly superior to digital, I thought let’s build an analog system and see what all the fuss is about. So this is what I did ...

I picked up an Audio Technica TT from Amazon for around $299. I then used one of the older integrated amps with a built-in phono, which I believe I paid around $500 a few years ago. And, finally, just to even out the playing field I bought the cheapest possible cables from alibaba. Since I didn’t have extra rack space to put the TT on, I got a couple of bricks and built a DIY platform for it.

So after listening to the analog setup for a few days, I can proclaim without a shadow of doubt that digital is far, far superior than vinyl on any given day, and twice a day on Sunday.

What has been your experience? And please, don’t mention your gear or any special. cartridges, isolation, etc. Not interested in your system details. I just want to make sure you guys understand that digital is far, far superior than vinyl.

128x128arafiq

I used to shop for high end equipment regularly at a local audiophile institution called "The Audible Difference". When comparable levels of playback systems are used for the same recordings, it is really all that matters. Satire or not - the "Audible Difference" is always the most important thing to consider case by case. It is a fundamental that we all know very well, but is often overlooked when getting caught up in technical issues.

The constant and consistent need to argue over this points to something more than technical issues, that something more being belief. Based on my observations digital detractors have issues with the entire nomenclature of how digital is implemented, especially streaming. They prefer how vinyl stimulates tactile senses and the need to purchase music at much higher cost creates sense of ownership that streaming/renting music doesn't allow. Digital fans may be more concerned with utility vs this sense of ownership and stimulating tactile senses. I'm sure other concerns also apply.

My point here is I don't observe most digital/vinyl arguments being about sound quality, vast majority have totally unequal setups for a reason. People spend majority or exclusively on format they believe more in.

My point here is I don't observe most digital/vinyl arguments being about sound quality, vast majority have totally unequal setups for a reason. People spend majority or exclusively on format they believe more in.

Most digital vs vinyl arguments I've read are based around sound quality. Tangible factors may play a role in the preference of one format over the other, but quite often one format is ultimately discredited on the basis of sound quality. Understandable in this highly subjective hobby. I do agree that the majority of those participating in the digital vs vinyl argument have unequal setups that makes a fair comparison impossible, which the OP of this thread is highlighting and mocking.

@sonic79 My point is while they may think they're arguing sound quality, they really aren't. Their predetermined bias has influenced their decisions of where to spend money, this unequal performance only further reinforces this predetermined bias.

Maybe in your system but in reality, it is not even close.  Once you get to reference level equipment, digital cannot compete.  Stop by our Listening Room in New Jersey and we will be more than happy to demonstrate the differences.

Happy Listening.