digital front end to rival best vinyl?

i am interested in adding a 2 channel digital front end but no cd's. looking for storage/source, clock,dac and what ever else required, that can compete or better vinyl. is this possible? am i to early? i am a novice when it comes to digital front ends and am trying to learn as much as possible. all knowledgeable info will be greatly apriciated. i did hear a system at goodwins highend that sounded great but seemed to have very limited softwear. thanks
koegz

Showing 1 response by buconero117

Doesn't exist. What you are comparing is analogue to digital. Stop chasing the 'analogue' sound, just live with digital. Remember it is the source that should be compared. I've listened to some blu-ray audio mastered from the analogue tapes on some titles I have in analogue, reel tapes, and while close, still can tell there is a difference. Analogue still has the edge. As more and more analogue is remastered to blu-ray, that may change. Since there is a lot of new vinyl that can be compared to the cd equal, you must decide. Part of the problem is that the vinyl is being cut from a digital source, often with all the EQ and other 'enhancements' added, so you never really hear the analogue sound as source. There are some titles that do go directly from the analogue tape masters to vinyl with little 'processing'. I think the Beatles project missed an opportunity to not issue a few blu-rays.

What works for me? Analogue, vinyl and tape, with tubes.