Differences between Harbeth, Spendor, Graham, etc. ?

This is perhaps a foolish question, given the subjective nature of this hobby, but is there any consensus regarding differences between the above brands? I’m interested in their "traditional" or "vintage" lines, not the more modern-voiced models.

For example, I’ve read that the Spendor Classic series speakers are, overall, warmer/darker than Harbeths and offer a bit more punch in the bass. If this is true, I would lean toward the former.

stuartk

@yogiboy

... as I suspected. I’d prefer to stick with SS.

@simao

Unfortunately, I’m ignorant of the respective sonic attributes of ham and gravy. . .I can only assume gravy is "wetter"while ham accentuates the playful, humorous aspects...

@pdreher

I’m familiar with hi fi shark. Thanks for your suggestions.

I have the Spendor classic 4/5’s. Wouldn’t necessarily say they are inherently warm in character, but they do throw a surprising amount of bass with power behind them which could be part of that “warm” assessment. Can sound far bigger than their size would suggest and seem to respond well to higher wattage without a flinch. They’re also very true to source, detailed and revealing. Very insightful. They’re also very easy to integrate with a sub. Need to be pointing at you. Lastly, I’ve found they can sound better not so far into the room but will still throw a wide and deep stage with only 2-3 feet behind them. 

Robert Greene and Paul Seydor have reviewed many of the various BBC incarnations over the years and they include some comparisons between the revisions in the same lineup and similar models across brands. I own a pair of Grahams and found them to have greater clarity than their Harbeth counterpart with no downside. I haven’t heard any Spendors in a long time.

Interesting to read these answers -- which to mean anything, must presume decent room acoustics. In a room with bad acoustics, none of the differences listed here amount to anything. Might as well ask about the different tastes of pork, beef, and chicken when they're all covered in ketchup.