Difference in sound between copper and silver digital cables?

Is there a difference in sound between copper and silver digital cables, or purely in the implementation?
pmboyd
@danip5 - you are clearly far more knowledgeable in this area than myself, so if I could impose on you one last time, for some points of clarification...

If I understand your posts correctly -
"Ethernet" detects errors, but it does not request a re-transmit - it just identifies if the packet should be "dropped/blocked"

Whereas TCP/IP "can" notice the data loss, but...
- is retransmission something that is "programmed" using TCP/IP ?
- or is retransmission automatically taken care of by TCP/IP ?

The reason for this point of clarification is
- if re-transmission has to be programmed - then it really depends on the TCP/IP implementation approach, from one Ethernet connected device to another, as to how good each would sound.
- Whereas, if it is automatic, then all Ethernet connected devices should be able to perform to a "similar level".

Also - Is my understanding of SPDIF, optical and USB methods of transmission correct...
- i.e. if data is lost/corrupted, it goes undetected and a DAC will simply try to re-create the audio signal from the digital stream received as best it can ?

It is also quite clear from your posts that Ethernet is far more reliable at successful data transmission than either SPDIF, optical and USB methods. Which would account for the superior sound I now enjoy from my Bluesound Node 2 - which uses an Ethernet connection

Many Thanks for your patience - Steve

Guys,

I don't know all of the technical and configuration aspects but I have evaluated 7-8 digital coax utilizing both RCA and BNC; I was able to distinguish differences in all of them easily.

It must be the 3:1 ratio of the helix coil/signal cable that's making a difference. There is No brightness, bloat but an enveloping sound that appears to have nothing obstructing the components ability to convey the data being transmitted.

I will be removing from cooker tonight and placing on soundbar for a few days and see what a DIY Helix sounds like compared to a professionally built German Helix Cable.

I can tell you that I'm quite impressed already with this DIY Helix 👍

Wig
Williewonka, to keep it very simple.

The network interface sends ethernet frames which are composed of a header, a payload and a CRC. At this stage it uses mac adresses to communicate.

A TCP/IP packet is a software created packet which will be the payload of a ethernet frame. TCP/IP is a little more complicated to explain but it uses a 3 way handshake to start a connection. Sequence numbers are used in those packets so that the a missing packet can be detected (if sequence number unexpectedly increases) and a resend can be asked with it's sequence number. For example if a package with sequence number 65 is received while there was no 64, a resend of 64 will be asked (it will actually go back to 64 which means that 65 will also be resend ... etc)

If you send a TCP/IP packet that packet will stay the same until it reaches it's goal (rare cases where it doesn't like a router using NAT), while every node will "repack" the TCP/IP packet into a new frame with the according mac addresses (a switch is not a node).
When a TCP/IP packet is lost it almost certainly happened "far away" (for example due to lack of bandwidth)

To get back on topic. I think the major problem with SPDIF is that each device generates it's own clock and older devices often generated a crappy clock.
Today's devices generate more consistant and accurate clocks which means less jitter problems.
@danip - all good :-) 

Many thanks for taking the time to explain.

Regards  - Steve
My DIY advance Digital Helix cable has been settling into my system now for 2 days and they are Staying...Outstanding results on my 25 year old Dac as my reference Dac is currently being modified with new Caps, more filtering, better wiring and a DHT rectifier.

I was considering Vh Audio Cu Coax but really have no desire as the Oyaide DB 510 is a similar typology and I’ve already tried and evaluated that cable which is good but no where near this Helix Cable.

Here are a few Coax that I have owned and evaluated within the last 6 months; Oyaide DB 510, Empirical Audio Reference, Black Cat Silver Star Mk II, Digit 75 Mk II, Snake River Boomslang, Audio Revelation,
Inakustik 2404 Air Helix and a few others that I can’t recall but none of these can approach the performance of the Helix.

Here’s what the Helix does so well; No bright or warm sound signature, a larger soundstage with much more width and depth, life-like sound that appears to have no obstructions which allows the music to flow in a you-are-there fashion. Removing the Helix sounds as if I’m listening to a recording in mono verses having a real instrument occupying a space within your listening environment.

I recommend you guys give these a try to see what you think but my eyes have been opened and a pair of DIY Helix interconnects are next on the horizon!

Kudos to Steve for his research and implementation which makes it a breeze for DIYers : )

Wig