DId you get that paperwork from the IRS about purchasing? over $600.00

So a friend of mine told me that if you purchase anything with pay pal and it is over $600.00 you will get a form from IRS and you will have to cut them a check.is this true? and does that mean I can't purchase from Ebay or any other audio site? say it ain't so.

gmosley

Showing 3 responses by socalml528

recapping what's already been posted:  The IRS is after income and not imposing a "Sales Tax."  So keep note of what you paid for it (like stock transactions) and profit (income).  If you sold it for $1000 but paid $1200; that's a $200 loss, no income tax.

As for Sales Tax that may apply depending upon State/Local, but I doubt locals can track online sales yet.  In both cases the seller pays Income Tax or Sales Tax if any.

(Not an advisor, just by take) 😉

If you regularly sell stuff (audio and other) I would suggest a business ID and checking account for all transactions.  That way you could write-off all your audio subscriptions, audio conferences, travel, equipment you buy/sell as inventory plus travel, vehicle transport, heath care and other qualified expenses.  See an advisor for how and what's allowable. 

Couldn't agree with @bigtwin more; hence "see an advisor..."

As for audits; not very prevalent these days, but I'm not advocating poking the bear or breaking laws.

Or alternatively; to paraphrase from the movie The Frim; "I don't care about triggering audits, I only care about winning them."

Now back to sound and music😊