Did Amir Change Your Mind About Anything?

It’s easy to make snide remarks like “yes- I do the opposite of what he says.”  And in some respects I agree, but if you do that, this is just going to be taken down. So I’m asking a serious question. Has ASR actually changed your opinion on anything?  For me, I would say 2 things. I am a conservatory-trained musician and I do trust my ears. But ASR has reminded me to double check my opinions on a piece of gear to make sure I’m not imagining improvements. Not to get into double blind testing, but just to keep in mind that the brain can be fooled and make doubly sure that I’m hearing what I think I’m hearing. The second is power conditioning. I went from an expensive box back to my wiremold and I really don’t think I can hear a difference. I think that now that I understand the engineering behind AC use in an audio component, I am not convinced that power conditioning affects the component output. I think. 
So please resist the urge to pile on. I think this could be a worthwhile discussion if that’s possible anymore. I hope it is. 

chayro

I like your post..because of these points in your post :

It changed my opinion on DACs. There is very little difference.

--Dac is a mature technology now and it made no sense to pay too much for a dac relatively to the other components...It is my opinion and experience...

I also differ from ASR’s view on room acoustics and loudspeakers. There are big differences in data and perceptions, where ASR insists that research suggests, that people don’t care.

-- Subjectivist or objectivist focussing on gear miss the more powerful impact of acoustuic and psycho-acoustic basic in a room...

But you are wrong here:

The ears are very bad sensors compared to the eyes

Hearing give us insight inside resonant sound sources and information about their composition, even when not visible...( is it metal,copper or iron, or wood, it is empty orc d3ense, is there a hole, is this fruit ripe or not by tapping on it etc)

We can replace sight with echolocalization exactly as bat and dolphin do... There is even school that taught this for blind people...

Hearing is the FIRST sense which put us in contact with the world through the mother womb, and the LAST sense to disapear... And In coma hearing work not sight ...

And about "information processing" :

«For the first time, physicists have found that humans can discriminate a sound’s frequency (related to a note’s pitch) and timing (whether a note comes before or after another note) more than 10 times better than the limit imposed by the Fourier uncertainty principle.»

https://phys.org/news/2013-02-human-fourier-uncertainty-principle.html

Also, " sounds communicate to the brain far more quickly than sights. Light travels faster than sound, but its pathway to the conscious brain is much slower. “While vision maxes out at 15 to 25 events per second, hearing is based on events that occur thousands of times per second.”

«Nowhere are the limitations of the eye relative to the ear more apparent than when comparing frame rate, measured in frames per second (FPS), to the precedence effect. If 10 still images were flashed in one second (10 FPS), people can distinguish between the photos. Once a rate of 12 FPS is exceeded, though, it’s more likely the person will perceive motion rather than images.

A comparable measure in hearing occurs with the precedence effect. If two sounds occur back to back with a sufficiently small amount of time between them, humans hear a single auditory image. For this to occur, though, the time interval may have to be as low as 10 milliseconds. Additionally, it’s still possible to hear ascension or descension in the sound — it just appears as a single tone.»

About illusion:

«Everyone has been fooled by optical illusions. Something similar is possible when listening to audio, but this occurrence is much rarer. In fact, it takes a bit of visual trickery to fool the human ear via the McGurk Effect.

To put it simply, the McGurk Effect occurs when a listener hears a word but sees different visual cues. If the word “bar” is spoken while someone’s lips move as if making an “F” sound, for instance, the listener typically will “hear” the word “far” instead.

This means that, just like the eye, the human ear can be fooled, but it takes a little visual help to pull it off

https://backtracks-blog.com/when-hearing-is-better-than-seeing-the-power-of-the-ear-exposed/

Also the short time visual memory is better than hearing short time memory...No comparison here...but it is the reverse completely for long term hearing memory compared to visual long term memory...there is no comparison either here...

It is way better to loose sight than hearing, guess why?

You can communicate if you are not deaf and replace sight to some extent with echolocalization, but you cannot replace hearing for communication and navigation... As said the mathematician Euler losing sight, it is a good thing for my concentration...Ask Beethoven his opinion ? Ask Ray Charles who gave his money to a deaf childs , not a blind one; and to the journalist who made the documentary very surprized by this, and who ask WHY ? Ray answered laughing, being blind is no problem at all...

Last thing :

Audio people think that to learn how to listen we must change the components and listening to the results... This is very deceptive and push people to meaningless strings of upgrades... and they will NEVER learn how to listen sounds in this exclusive way... We learn to hear when we LISTEN using acoustic concepts in simple basic experiments...No other way... As Musician learn how to listen by playing ...

I feel like ASR  has clarified some things for me. I'm not sure that anybody has changed my opinion about anything in audio. At best I get new perspectives, and sometimes conceptual corrections about various technical subjects. I definitely have some subjective preference differences with Amir about some products. Amir has also prompted me to buy some inexpensive products that I've been very pleased with overall. 

A certain parameter measures better, therefore it must sound better. - Well, that is just another form of confirmation bias! Might be helpful for some, but for me that's totally irrelevant. I go by what my experience tells me, so there are different ways to establish why something means a lot or not that much for you.

Stepping beyond that, I find it useful that he does lots of measurements. Very informative and dare say educational. I have watched only very few of his videos, and I can say that his measurements are good and it's very refreshing to see someone doing it. I saw logical faults in the measurement analysis that attributed incorrect outcomes to the measurements.

That says more about me though, right?

No.  I did peruse the site when I was looking for a DAC and he has SO many listed it became a good starting point from which to search/explore.

I'm in the camp with some others that he likely spreads at least as much ignorance as knowledge.  Often likely more.  I don't buy his testing approach.  It's not well designed and I don't believe his equipment and its usage is appropriate to the task.

But for some things he does provide useful baselines for consideration.

I was happy to see that Amir visited many rooms at Pacific Audiofest and declared them to sound good… no measurements needed!