Design an entire system for $800? ?

Help my cheap friend. He has nothing to start with. Cd only. Put yourself to the test. New equipment only(he is to busy to hunt the used market).Good luck
128x128seejungle

Showing 1 response by scotthmartin

This one is right in my wheelhouse. Tsugury and MWilson are both correct. The Cambridge CD player has uneven QC (I had to try three to get one that would open and close and spin, etc. Kind of makes you wonder about ISO9002) But it was worth it. The player sounds really good for the price.

For an amp, I would use an entry level 50-80 WPC power amp with level controls, e.g. the Audiosource AMP 2, about $300 new. Short signal path and great upgrade possibilities. I ran a CD direct into a Parasound HCA-500 for years and it sounded WAY good for the money. You can buy that amp for $100 here or on eBay.

For speakers, there are obviously many, many options. PSB Image 1B would work. Or, if you went with the Sony DVP-NS500V that others are recommending and the used Parasound, you could get the little Triangles. Sweet.

For inexpensive interconnects, I have found the Kimber PBJ's most satisfactory (about $70) and the 14 or 16(?) gauge Monster Cable is OK for speaker wire in a short run. Enjoy and don't be discouraged by the negative postings. You can get a pleasant sounding, reasonably balanced, system for less than a grand.