Design an entire system for $800? ?

Help my cheap friend. He has nothing to start with. Cd only. Put yourself to the test. New equipment only(he is to busy to hunt the used market).Good luck
128x128seejungle

Showing 1 response by dekay

Have him audition a Yamaha Piano Black mini system. If the room is not too large and if he does not blast music it should fill the bill.

Another option (for higher volume playback) would be the integrated amp/CD player (all in one unit) by NAD and a pair of Polk Audio RT-25's, plus cheap $99 stands for the speakers. The NAD is often discounted online (new) and the Polk's go on sale @ the chain stores.

Too bad that he is not into seeking/searching bargains as I recently picked up a Bottlehead Foreplay/Paramours combo for $400 that sings with some of the Japanese single driver speakers that I sourced from the local thrifts (average $5/pr). With a nice discontinued Sony CD/SACD player and DIY Radio Shack magnet wire IC's/speaker cable such a system would come in @ $200 under budget (enough left over for a DIY Ikea Lack equipment rack and a discounted/new Monster HTS-2000 power conditioner).

Perhaps you could put together such a system for him?