Denon DP6000 crackling noise: Need Help

Hi All, I need some help. The Denon DP6000 that I just acquired worked great the first day (2 hours). The next day, it held speed. However, there was a crackling noise that emanated from the drive unit (the cartridge was not on the LP). The noise occurred only when the platter was moving. When the platter was stopped, with the power still on, the crackling ceased. (I played it only for about 5 minutes with the crackling noise.)

I know it is old and needs new capacitors. I will replace those immediately (Originally, I was hoping to put it off for a few months.)

QUESTIONS: Besides capacitor replacement, is there something else that needs attention? Is there a bigger problem?
redglobe

Showing 2 responses by lewm

As I think I said on Vinyl Asylum, you should move your plan to replace the capacitors to the front burner. But it may also be a simple arc-ing from some high voltage node to ground due to worn insulation, etc.
Redglobe, Good point about the transistors. I am sure you realize their description as "noisy" has to do with electrical noise, not audible acoustic noise. I replaced all of those transistors in my DP80, or rather, Bill Thalmann did. Bill said something to me about the original transistors being subpar. The DP6000 will work better with upgraded transistors, but I don't think they are the cause of the noise the OP is hearing.