Denon dl103 low volume from sa3000

Hello all,
I am running a denon dl103 cartridge through a counterpoint SA 3000 preamp. When I run the phono cables directly into the MC input on the sa3000, I need to turn the volume up to about 75% to reach satisfactory listening levels. Will this cause any problems? I have a home built SUT built with beyerdynamic trannies and with that I am at about 35-45 % on the volume for the same listening level. It just seems I have a more quiet background with the SUT out of the loop. Main question is will I cause any damage to the preamp running the volume up to 75-80%. The SUT was built correctly, ie solder joints and grounds are all correct. I just want some input on running the volume up to such a high level.
Thanks,
The skipper
skipper320

Showing 2 responses by skipper320

I am still a bit confused.
How much gain in a step up device should I be looking for? All my sut's are between 20 and 30 db of gain. Not sure what the gains are on my sa 3000 preamp, but the 2 gain values are added together (sut and mm gain)give the total? I don't have the spec sheet for my Counterpoint SA-3000 anymore. Would I be better off just buying a stand alone phono stage with about 60 db of gain and run it into the aux input on the preamp?
Thanks
I also noticed there is a space to put a resistor in the mc section. The cartridge load says it should be 100 ohms. Should I put a 100 ohm resistor in this spot?