Dennis Had FIRE 300 B tube SET

Hi- I have Fire Bottle 300B on the way. Any info from an owner of one of these is greatly appreciated, and… has anyone placed a tube preamp ahead of it? I have a Rogue RP-1…

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xmoose89

Showing 6 responses by decooney

@whiteknee I'm currently looking for line stage for the QS mid monos.

You'll see the Inspire linestage preamps LP, CJ, others show up on US Audiomart periodically.  I recommend a 6SN7 or better line stage for the QS Mid Monos. Using a really good preamp in front of them does make a difference.   Im running a prior gen Dennis Had sweet-little-preamp Cary SLP-98 with my Quicksilver Mono 120s, and also use it for my Pass Forte' Audio Class A 50watt solid state amp both.  There are more than a few Pass owners who use this preamp. Works great with both vendors amps, outboard power transformer, and has dual line out so you can run the two amps or one amp plus dual subwoofers with plenty of drive. Remote control too. Responds well to different 6SN7 tubes. 

A buddy has Dennis’ latest Inspire 2030 preamp. It’s used alternately in front of his two other Inspire Triode 2A3/45 and SEP KT88/6L6 amps. He was about to buy Dennis’ 300B amp, and decided not to pay the premium for the new WE300Bs.

All of its being consolidated now with other things going on, both amps and the areamp will be listed in the next few weeks. Both of us agreed the sound in Dennis’ designs starts with his preamps.I own one of Dennis older preamp designs myself fwiw. Enjoy your DH 300B, it can be nice paired with the right speakers.

@charles1dad fyi, fwiw. Between my former Cary SLI-80 and Cary V12 amps, Denis built me an Inspire Hot Rod with KT150s. He really wanted me to try it given my past with his former Cary designs. I used my Cary SLP-98 preamp to drive it for about a year. Still use the same preamp today, like it quite a bit for my needs. 

While the smaller Inspire amps were a little better at mid-volume levels, it never quite drove my 6ohm 93db sensitive speakers properly at low volume levels. Kept my Cary 6SN7 preamp and, re-sold all of the Cary Inspire amps. On to the next Mono amps I went. I share this as those amps are sensitive to speaker selection.  

Next:

Due to my speakers not being ultra efficient or closer to stable 8ohm higher impedance, I had to try something else, more, different - it paid off.

Moved to larger Quicksilver Mono 120s with the much larger and higher quality transformers. For my own reasons to compare apples-to-apples, I upgraded to much higher-end coupling caps and a better small signal input/driver tube set. Much-much better drive and clarity at low volume listening levels (night time listening). After the cap and tube upgrades, boom, game over, done. Never looked back. The new QS KT Monos are sweet, more versatile for speaker matching. Simply put a great triode preamp in front of them, and the result is high value.

@charles1dad Totally understand, and would love to have that setup myself.  I’ve only seen the triode 300b version and more recent PSE 300B from Dennis. If you don’t mind the ask, which direction did you end up going for 300b monos?

I see Quicksilver Audio mentioned here. I stopped by their Website yesterday and it seems that Mike is now only manufacturing two lower powered pairs of monoblock amplifiers (The KT mono and Mid mono) and an integrated amplifier. He still has a few different preamplifiers for sale though and of course, his headphone amplifier.

Interestingly, the downsizing of amps came about for multiple reasons as I understand it.  Mike was able to consolidate the former push pull Mono 60, 80, and Mono 120 amps into single amp to run all of the larger KT tubes ranging from KT66 to KT170s for higher power applications, yet with lower power now gives delicacy of lower power amp sound. Not sure how he pulled this off, but it works.

The Mid-Mono ("50% Triode" - Ultralinear) as he calls it, remains, essentially more optimized for EL34, KT77, yet can run up to KT120. Another point of consolidation.

And of course the neat little EL84 integrated and the headphone amp, and one Linestage.

As a former Inspire amp owner myself, I’ve been following along with folks who’ve added the Quicksilver Mid Mono amps into their collection with higher efficiency horns speakers. I’d love to put Dennis’ 2030 or CJ5 preamp in front of the new Quicksilver Mid Mono amps to see how that sounds. Good fun.

To @moose89 As a former Nak fan and owner myself, certainly can appreciate if you found a nice match for yourself pairing this the DH 300B. With that said, paring one of Dennis' preamps with his amps brings its own presentation for sure.  Sure appreciate mine, and feel the preamp with the right tubes brings its own type of sound and enjoyment.

A good friend of mine is setting up to resale a good portion of his Inspire amp collection, however the one piece he confirmed he will be keeping is the Inspire preamp, fwiw. Both of us have tired our DH preamps with many different tube and solid state amps with enjoyable results.  Enjoy your preamp, it's always fun to find a great combo that works well together.