Denafrips Pontus II FPGA firmware upgrade 2023

After submitting my request for the upgrade yesterday, in the today morning I got the password and instructions to proceed. I got the time to do it this afternoon.

Now, I am listening for little more than an hour and my first impressions are of more clarity and tridimensionality. To assess things more easily I am using my Tidal playlist and so far I am very impressed with the SQ improvements - Auralic Aries Femto connected with Audioquest Carbon USB and Belden 8402 from the dac to the amp.

It is easy to say that now the soundstage depth and especially width are significantly enhanced. There seems to be another notch on realism and scale. Things are very composed and natural. 
My system was already performing beautifully in terms of engagement, totally commanding our attention to the music, and continues to be, detailed but non-fatiguing, but I feel that there is now a bit more liquid quality to the sound, a bit more relaxed in a good way... but I have to listen more of course.

So far, well done Denafrips.

Note: the firmware upgrade was less straightforward than I expected, but it was mostly Windows 10 related

audiofilo123

Showing 1 response by chinook9

I was thinking of delaying doing this update but I'm so glad I didn't wait.  IMO it is a significant improvement.  So good that I'm going back and listening to all of my favorites.  

I heard all of the improvement that audiofilo123 heard but none of the negatives.  However, I will keep listening for these negatives as I continue to evaluate.

I had been considering getting a Terminator, or one of the others up the line but 'll be happy with this for a while.