Denafrips FPGA Firmware Update

In case there are any Denafrips DAC owners out there that are not aware of the FPGA Firmware Update, here's the link:

I did the update on my Ares II earlier today and am currently enjoying the results.  It is definitely an improvement without question.

mceljo

Been listening to latest v1.4 on my Pontus II. Glad with the sound, but irritated with the micro fast forwards I am hearing with CDP playback. Happens intermittently and infrequently, but every once in while the song will fast forward a few sec and I know it is not the CD laser.

Sorry to hear about the issues and mixed results; most seem to be associated with the higher end DACs and DDC interactions. My experience is based on the relatively simple update on an Ares ii. My experience was very successful. Aside from some minimal confusion on my part as I stepped through the pretty well done instructions everything went smoothly and was successful. I haven’t had a lot of time with the updated Dac but I’m enjoying the sound. 

I have to say that I’ve had very responsive help from the Denafrips staff (given the time zone lags). I believe they are passionate about providing the best support and sound quality possible with their products. I purchased my Ares ii used and they have treated my questions as if I was a major customer. Very happy with my Dac for my investment. 

Denafrips is great. I applaud their efforts! TRULY! 👍🏼
My experience was not good…part of that is perhaps me and my tastes, abilities etc.

I downloaded the first new firmware offering for my Pontus II at it’s release date....The process is a chore for me..iMac..no laptop. I have to take the DAC out of a stack in an enclosed cabinet (hassel #1) , then take it to my office and hook it up to my iMac (hassel #2), and then with my lack of computer skills do something that is very uncomfortable for me…download and install new firmware. Stressful considering the "brick" possibility. After a number of false starts I was able to do this (hassel #3). Reinstall into my stack in my enclosed cabinet (hassel #4). Then listening a lot and believing "for me and my system" the highs got brittle (silk dome tweeters) with much of my music (hassel #5)…This is the worst one…believing the burn-in nonsense..thinking it would change over days…a week (hassel #6)…no change for me. I have at least $25K invested. My system is resolving, but NOT bright….but the sound stayed bright.

This was SUCH a waste of time “for me"…then…I had to wait for the original firmware to be made available from Denafrips (hassel #7). Then repeat hassles 1, 2, 3 & 4 above. LOL! Bringing me to ELEVEN hassles…but let’s make it an even dozen 😀 as I had to listen again and make sure that the sound that I love was back. It was. NO BURN-IN. 👉🏼😁 (BTW…I do believe in burn-in for components and speakers. These DACs when new need burn-in , for example…but I found there to be no change after firmware install over time in my well used Pontus II "for me").

THEN… Denafrips released the next new firmware…which was received better by more listeners…but…I just couldn’t go thru the dozen hassles! 😂💦

Tarun, The British audiophile told me that it’s worth the hassles ….but nah. Perhaps in a moment of insanity I might give it a go. LOL!

I do think it’s great that Denafrips did all this work…and in practice has offered different firmwares for different sounds to tweak their WONDERFUL DACs!

I ordered a pair of Grant Fidelity Treasure Globe 6SN7s for my preamp instead. Fewer hassles, hopefully more enjoyment. Definitely a meaningful burn-in process there…We’ll see! 🤷🏻‍♂️