Denafrips FPGA Firmware Update

In case there are any Denafrips DAC owners out there that are not aware of the FPGA Firmware Update, here's the link:

I did the update on my Ares II earlier today and am currently enjoying the results.  It is definitely an improvement without question.

mceljo

I avoided the first update and now see there is a new one to try for Pontus. Has anyone tried the first update then gone back to original, then tried the new most current update and preferred it to original Pontus sound? If so what are you hearing?

Sorry if this has been gone over I haven’t read entire post. 

Post removed 

I loaded the 1st update….and wasted many, many hours (for burn-in…LOL! …there was none for me). I spent a lot of money on an R2R DAC to have a warmer more organic sound as opposed to all those analytical Chip DACs. In my world the 1st firmware update turned my Pontus II into a chip DAC that caused me listening fatigue.

THANK GOD…I was eventually able to go back to blissful v.1.0. (Witness: no burn-in …My DAC was immediately back to the original sound…this coming from someone who HAS experienced burn-in with new electronic components, speakers, etc.).

I will not be wasting any more of my time loading V1.4. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I am happy where I am. VERY HAPPY!

GOOD LUCK on "your" journey!! 😀

I'm excited to share some user feedback about the latest firmware update. 😃

Review of the new v1.4 firmware for my Pontus II

https://www.denafrips.com/single-post/review-of-the-new-v1-4-firmware-for-my-pontus-ii

Detailed and tone-balanced as I like

https://www.denafrips.com/single-post/pontus-dac-fpga-firmware-v1-4-feedback

Happy listening!

Many thanks.

Alvin Chee

www.vinshineaudio.com

It seems to me that 1.3 and 1.4 FW are all improving the sound stage and transparency over the 1.0. However, if the system has tendency to harshness, the 1.4 is more suitable. And, if your system is on the warm side, then the 1.3 is preferable.

My system is on the warm side and 1.3 is just fine with me. 

Thanks to Alvin for the upload.