Denafrips FPGA Firmware Update

In case there are any Denafrips DAC owners out there that are not aware of the FPGA Firmware Update, here's the link:

I did the update on my Ares II earlier today and am currently enjoying the results.  It is definitely an improvement without question.

mceljo

Showing 5 responses by audiofilo123

Great news for my Pontus II.

I hope it fixes the skipping issue and that it sounds even better. Well done Denafrips :)

@bobo1000 I am exactly in the same boat with you: the experienced “glassiness” and the will to wait for burn in and see the improvements. 

If not, then I wish to go back to the previous firmware.

"kengt

Besides the burn in, there are still other issues needed to be considered, such as system synergy and weak link in the system. The new firmware may not be the weakest link in your system. Or, it may just be not suitable to your system. And, if you don’t try you will never know. I would say "Take this opportunity. It is free of cost. :)

Totally disagree!

My system is performing amazingly and I have all my other digital sources to confirm it.

Up until the FW update, the Pontus II had some advantages on sound quality but now it is simply the worst I ever had: flat, tiresome and not engaging at all.

Before was sublime.

Changing my system to pursue the dac “new sound” seems really absurd to me.

@figuy the same happened to me. A day after the FW upgrade I saw that it had changed to OS Sharp filter, instead of my preferred Slow filter. 

So I changed it to Slow filter (phase on) and continue to listen until yesterday evening - a 10 days period, working 24/7 - but no luck. The sound still was awful.

I have tried the NOS setting too but no luck there also.

Now, my Pontus II is shut off, waiting for the next FW update, the one that will restore all the Denafrips  famous sound :)

It could be interesting if Denafrips released this upcoming FW to satisfy people like me, and it was nothing but the old FW in disguise, probably with a tweak or two. I would be happy with that :)

As for the synergy aspects of the last FW (the one I don’t like at all) that have been mentioned on the last posts, I just want to say this: if the PII came with this sound when I bought it, then I certainly would have sold it after a month of trying to like it.

I would prefer any other dac with a natural sound, like a Lab12, Audio Note, Holo Audio, etc

To me, the Denafrips sound is absolutely not what I have experienced in the last days, and that my system can assure me, after more than three years of pleasure.