Dedicated 20a lines, 125 feet distance, which gauge wire to run?

Want to set up 4x dedicated 20-amp lines for my hifi system. The distance from the outlets to the breaker box is about 125 feet. What wires should I use? 10, 8, or 6 gauge? And should they be solid or stranded? If you could be as specific as possible that would be appreciated (brands, links, etc), as I am out of my depth here. The wire will need to run underground for a good portion, and then into craw space, if that makes any difference.
Ag insider logo xs@2xbattbot

Showing 2 responses by builder3

Talk to your electrician. He can place the sub-panel, you could probably handle the rest from there. Don’t attempt to saddle him with a bunch of unusual requirements that you really have no knowledge of. Tell him you want quality materials, panel with copper buss work, copper wire. Give him the basic idea of what you’re trying to do, and why. If he’s onboard, let him do his job. That’s my advice, anyway. I’ve worked in residential construction for 32 years. Good luck.
The wire won’t be a single, but individual insulated #4 wires, THHN or THWN, I believe, in PVC conduit from panel to panel, and might also include a bare ground. Not sure about that last bit, I can’t remember the code requirements for sub-panels. I’m not an electrician.
I just reread your post about the ongoing new construction. Of course, I don't know where you are, but here, our electrical inspector would more than frown on you doing any electrical work while your electrician is doing the job under his permit. Ask him.
djones514,201 posts09-14-2021 6:58pmIf it's underground it would be the THWN. W for wet. Most #4 is stranded aluminum
Most is, solely due to cost. Copper is probably 5x the price.