Deals Gone Bad

I have noticed a large percentage of my purchases are turning into Scam sales.....A lot of them I report to e-bay to have them checked out and they still go "south".......l had one on ebay for 2900.00 and another on Audiogon for 2500.00........And the worst thing is it sometimes takes months to get your money back..........Both of these were out of the country, one in the UK and one in South Africa.............

autospec

I second oddiofyl on TMR - Joshua and team are really great.

Never gotten fully burned (worst example is that I bought a Technics tonearm on EBay and the tonearm lift didn't work).  I did have one example where a guy in Europe was listing a pair of Amati Homages at $12k that I thought seriously about buying. Had limited but all positive feedback, but he required a wire transfer. I was a little concerned, so asked for home address and phone number.  Did a google search on the address and it was basically a parking lot in an industrial area.  That was a big red flag and I ceased contact.  About a month later another Audiogoner bought the speakers, sent the wire, and the seller disappeared (the buyer posted about it).  Dodged one there.

In short, trust your instincts and don't be embarrassed about asking for an much info as you need to make yourself comfortable with the deal

I guess I have been lucky.  I have made several large purchases both here and on US Audiomart, the biggest being about $7K.  I have never had a problem over the years, although I. Think that scamming seems to have become a lot more prevalent in the past few years.  I always use PayPal or some other buyer protection, and I always make sure that it is shipped with full insurance.  The couple of times that something arrived damaged (both subwoofers, ironically) I was refunded through PayPal (although the seller refused to take responsibility for it arriving undamaged) and in the other, the subwoofer arrived at the buyer’s working fine but a nick in a corner, and I gave the buyer all of the proceeds of the Fed-X insurance, so the sub ended up costing him about $50 and he was happy.  In my most recent purchase, for $7K, the seller would only take PayPal F&F, because of the change in IRS tax regs on such sales.  I was nervous and skeptical, but he had lots of positive feedback, quickly responded to emails, gave me a legitimate address, and we spoke on the phone.  I took the chance and everything was perfectly smooth,  The moral of the story is that due diligence it’s important nowadays.  Does the seller have positive feedback?  Does he quickly respond to emails?  Does he have a traceable telephone number?  Did he give you a legitimate address?  Does the address match up to PayPal’s shipping address? On the phone or by FaceTime, does he sound legitimate or is there something that triggers your “spidey sense?”  This vetting isn’t foolproof for a real professional scammer, but is very reliable.  For even larger purchases, I would investigate an escrow service rather than PayPay F&F.  I recently saw a MSB Reference DAC for $25K (retail, over $50K) that I contemplated, but being sold out of Dubai.  That would be a classic escrow company purchase.  And if that was unacceptable, “if its too good to be true, it usually is!”

Ronrags I was almost scammed by someone exactly meeting your description. I was very close to sending the money but saw he used pics from a 5 year old Usaudiomart sale.  Just saw that his account was suspended by Audiogon. If a deal is too good it probably is a scammer.

Well.Ive had good deals,and bad ones with Ebay,Amazon  and Audiogon. BUYER BEWARE. Especially when buying used equipment...Your trusting the guy or store that the stuff is good.These stores are taking in used equipment, they turn it on and it plays ,case closed ,it works .....as should as you use it a while ,problems start.Yeah that's why they got rid of it to YOU....

Ebay is getting like everyone else, they handle claims when they feel like it......I have been waiting for a item from South Africa for 1 month today, DHL shipping has completely dropped the ball, ebay won't give me my 3000.00 back and like I say American business is no longer a success anymore, the crooks , scam artists and bad people are winning big time and if I was younger I would look into that as a great way to make money, nobody pays any penalties and the returns are great........And its really easy.......If I was in my 20's I would do it......ITS THE AMERICAN WAY...........