DAC UPGRADE QUESTION

I currently have the following system:

1. Martin Logan 11A impressions hybrid-subwoofer with electrostatic panels.

2. Conrad Johnson Classic 62 power amp-60 watts per channel (not the SE )

3. Chord Qtest DAC

4. Lumin U2 mini streamer

Adding the Lumin and streaming with Qobuz has improved the sound immensely from my Cary CD player being used as a transport and the Qtest DAC.

The Qtest Dac was around $2000.00. 

Looking for upgrade suggestions as thinking I can improve my sound further with a better sounding DAC.

Thank you. 

128x128kjl1065

Showing 1 response by jsalerno277

I agree with @magnuman that the Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC is one of the best under $5k DACs that outperform DACs more than twice the price.  It has a musical, liquid and relaxed analogue like sound.  Like the quoted review mentioned, I have a VPI TNT, JM 12.5, Benz Ruby phono amplified by a Krell KPE. The Wyred is competitive.   Those that have climbed the ladder may say the presentation is forward.   This is true but marginal and other aspects of image density, imaging, air between instruments, depth, dynamics, detail and most important timbre put this DAC over the top for me.  Wyred, unlike another manufacturer praised on this page, benefits from direct sale profit but offers a return policy.   Pre-owned is about $2.5K.   Read the pro reviews.   Another favorite of mine is a Pre-Owned  Bricasti M3 as mentioned in the thread above.  Also very analogue like.  Too rich for my blood and currently but saving my pennies for is the Mola Tambaqui.  Not directly auditioned in my system but compared to DACs I am familiar with.  Best analogue like DAC I have heard.  Pre-Owned is about $9K.   One can dream.   I recommend you audition anything you intend to buy in your system.   There are many choices.   Differences subtitle to significant.  Whatever you choose remember to get good digital and analogue interconnects and use vibration isolation.   Important on digital front ends.