DAC that will play 196/256 files through optical input

I would like to replace my Oppo 105 with a stand alone DAC that will play 196/256 files through an optical input.
thegreenline
I am NOT an expert on this topic and we need someone to confirm my comments below.  After some limited research, I found the following information (in quotes):

"Due to bandwidth limitations, high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HDMaster Audio CANNOT be sent through the coaxial, or optical, digital audio output.  A reduced resolution version of the same audio track will be output instead.  To listen to high resolution audio formats in their best quality, you have to use the HDMI connection.

Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to SACD, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.

An examination of the digital outputs on DVD and Blu-ray players will show that the digital outputs are dumbed down to sample rates of 44.1 or 48 kHz at a bit-depth of 16 bits. These digital outputs are also limited to 2 channel PCM or lossy compressed 5.1 formats. No high-resolution audio is available at the digital outputs on any currently-available player.

So, based on my understanding, the higher resolution audio outputs can be output via HDMI.   You can use a Blu-Ray player, for example, your Oppo 105, to output using HDMI to a DAC (or amplifier) that accepts HDMI.   I suggest you call Oppo and ask them if their 105 player outputs full audio 24/192 (and 196/256 files) out via HDMI.   Assuming yes, you need a DAC (or amplifier) that accepts the HDMI signal and prepares it for input to your amplifier (and TV).   For example, the NAD Master M51 DAC ($2,000) accepts the Oppo 105 HDMI input and outputs the video signal to your TV and processes the audio signal thru its DAC process.  The $500 Essence HDACC DAC also provides for a HDMI input and output signals".

My Dad uses a Aurender XL100 (network server) connected to the Oppo 105 via its USB Audio input. The Aurender has a dedicated Audio USB 2.0 connection. I am pretty sure If you feed it the correct signal through the correct connection, the Oppo 105 will handle the higher bit rate and or 196/256 files. Call Audio advisor and confirm. BTW this combo sounds fantastic!

Matt M

OP, why do you want to use optical output? What will the source component be? Cheers,
Spencer
Bluesound Vault to the Oppo optical in, then Oppo balanced out to a Sherbourn balanced in connection

That is a shame. You do know that the Vault only handles sample rates up to 192, right? So even if you find an answer to your original question, you'd have to upgrade from the Vault to take advantage of those higher sample rates.
Also aren't the only common 256 files upsampled DSD via PC using HQ Player, etc? What kind of files are 256 sample rate that are compatible with the Bluesound Vault. Sorry, but I am getting confused about that. Cheers,
Spencer
Yes I know the Vault only samples up to196. I'm okay with that. The problem is my Oppo only samples 196 through the USB input. Limited to 96 through the optical or coax inputs.