DAC DIRECT IN TO AMPLIFIER OR TO PREAMPLIFIER

For the longest time, I believed that the best preamplifier is no preamplifier.  Eliminating a component from the audio chain would yield less distortion & greater purity.

Recently, I have had reason to re-think my logic on the matter - and I am (I think) changing my mind.  Better said, assuming that the preamplifier in the component you are using (in my case, a DAC) can produce 95% or greater quality sound compared to the preamplifier component, then no preamplifier is the best option.  The 5% represents the (estimated) loss of fidelity in adding another set of interconnects.

That said, most DACs do not have an outstanding preamplifier built in.  I think most have average passive attenuators, and the better DACs have active preamplifiers that are very good - but not as good as a quality preamplifier.

What are your thoughts?

128x128paul_lindemann

@blackbag20 My summary of this thread would be that there are 2 camps, one likes adding a preamp, and one doesn't.  Nobody knows which one is right, and probably it depends on the system, there is probably no single right answer.

but what I think you found valuable is the explanations of why people had their opinions helps you to form your opinion.  

It is great to hear that a thread like this, that draws no clear conclusion, still is useful to the reader.

Jerry

I moved from and integrated to separates a while ago. Had already gotten a nice amp and was already enjoying it using the integrated as a pre before selling iit. In the interim between, I used my dac as the preamp to still very good effect. There were some qualities that were present that wasn’t delivered via the pre stage of the integrated, however at the sacrifice of overall sound stage. Nonetheless, I was still enjoying it, not exactly a dealbreaker by any means. But then, my preamp arrived…and man? If it didn’t completely transform my system. I thought at that moment “so this is what hi-end in my own room can sound like”. Strangely, things became more true to signal. Not less. More balanced, yet more real. It wasn’t stage this, clarity that…it was everything combined, a major change toward hearing what the artist/engineers were intending. Really, the first time I was experiencing goosebumps on the regular.

To me it really seems it boils down to that output stage, output gain and synergy with your amp/speakers. I’m still wondering, however, what a serious dac with a profoundly well built analog output stage might still do on its own? Still wonder about that more direct path when applied well. But it would need to be configured with the right gain (or gain flexibility) along with the latest discrete design topology. Tech is improving rapidly, and it’s very regularly applied to audio gear. Not doubting that it isn’t already achievable, just not (yet) as available in the more affordable range.

Hi,

Personally I've had over 150 different DAC's and right around the same number of preamps. We import audio products, mostly from Europe and the UK and I get to A/B many different brands. So here's my opinion and again it is just an opinion.

It really comes down to the level of your system and how resolving that system sounds. If you go DAC direct and the DAC is properly designed then it can sound extremely musical but will lean more toward the digital side, sound wise.

When I add a world-class preamp to my system then that takes the system towards the analog side, sound wise. They're very different sounding but I would say if you're looking for a highly resolving system then a high quality preamp is an absolute must. The one component I couldn't live without is my preamp.

It really comes down to the preamp and capability that the preamp has to improve your system. There is an old saying that I firmly believe in audio "you don't know what you don't  know" and until you have tested this theory with several different preamp then it's impossible to know the correct answer.

Robert Neill 

President 

Worldwide Wholesales 

Clever post thanks worldwidewholesales...

There is different audio system and synergy and price level,  a rule as : always add a pre-amp or :  never add a new component in the chain, such rules  make no sense...

I dont need a pre-amp myself, some others can benefit from one... There is NO RULE HERE , there exist different gear synergy, different acoustic conditions and environment...

Rule number one : dont invent a useless rule make a useful experiment and learn from it...😁