DAC DIRECT IN TO AMPLIFIER OR TO PREAMPLIFIER

For the longest time, I believed that the best preamplifier is no preamplifier.  Eliminating a component from the audio chain would yield less distortion & greater purity.

Recently, I have had reason to re-think my logic on the matter - and I am (I think) changing my mind.  Better said, assuming that the preamplifier in the component you are using (in my case, a DAC) can produce 95% or greater quality sound compared to the preamplifier component, then no preamplifier is the best option.  The 5% represents the (estimated) loss of fidelity in adding another set of interconnects.

That said, most DACs do not have an outstanding preamplifier built in.  I think most have average passive attenuators, and the better DACs have active preamplifiers that are very good - but not as good as a quality preamplifier.

What are your thoughts?

128x128paul_lindemann

Showing 4 responses by jeffrey125

I agree with Jerry and Ozzy62.

Though I do have an SPL Phonitor 2 I use as a headphone/pr amp in one of my system configurations and a Schiit Freya + I use as a passive-pre. I like swapping things around and in addition I have a very nice Tube Integrated in another system. I like mixing things around. The SPL is very nuteral and is a spectacular headphone amp.

I know a lot of folks do not care for this guy or his musings, but he has a point if you are digital only. https://youtu.be/81RQLo0tLHE?si=t9BKS9t34O0bESV2

Some really great points have been brought up in this string. Different systems will adapt better to change and others will not. Really measurements will play a small part in this process and yes cables or lack there of, can make a difference regardless of what your crusade/religon.I have listened to systems that on paper measured well, but in application sounded like buffalo chips. Expand your Third Eye and give some things a try, you maybe suprised. I love this and I am quoting @ghdprentice

This is a recipe for listening to the guy in the third row of the symphony move his foot as opposed to getting lost in the music you are listening to.

@carlsbad2 + 1 

I do it another way:  I am good at buying and selling used equipment.  The key is never to buy junk.  So I buy a lot of equipment and resell the equipment that doesn't suit me.