D-SONIC SOA Class-D Core Amps. The best Class-D ?

Owner/Designer Dean Deacon of D-Sonic in Houston in recent months dropped using the B&O ICE amps which he now only uses in the surround channels of his multi-channel home theater amps. He now uses a new Class-D amp in all of his Magnum2 mono and two channel amps which he states is the most technically advanced Class-D amp on the market, called the SOA Class-D core amps. The recent review in 6Moons of his new M2-1500M amp concludes its the closest that Class-D has ever come to tube amps in the upper mid-range and high frequencies.
Anyone bought or heard recently the D-Sonic M2-1500M or the M2-600M? What are your opinions?
audiozen

Showing 11 responses by noble100

Thank you, Syot.

Mitcht is right, no need to SHOUT since we're all here listening.

Tim
Hi Guido,

G.

On your 7/20/14 post on this thread you wrote:

" Meantime Tim, what's new with your quest?

G."

Just curious as to which Tim you were directing that at? I know you're aware that I'm currently having James Romeyn build a pair of mono-blocks for me that contain the same power modules used in the D-Sonic M2/M3-600 monoblocks, the Anaview/Abletec1000-1300 modules, and I thought you might have been thinking I was following this thread.
Actually, I just read this thread today, August 26th. Very interesting thread and I'd be happy to chime in with details of my quest if you were directing your question at me. If not, then never mind and please disregard.

Let me know.
Thanks,
Tim
Guido,

The builder, James Romeyn in Utah, has had a few issues that caused delays in the builds; he received an unexpected resurgence of orders for his more typical Hypex Ncore400 based amp builds and he ran short of some connectors specific to the ALC1000-1300 modules. There seems to be a general shortage of these connectors available for sale but I finally was able to find 5 packs of these at a Profusion outlet in Denmark.

Romeyn now has all the required components and the completed amps are expected to arrive shortly (within 2 weeks), barring any further unexpected delays.

I was originally going to have mono-blocks built using the very latest technology and use the new Anaview AMS-1000-2600 modules. I actually ordered a pair of these modules from Shaw Electronics in Montana. But Shaw sent an email the next day stating they could not fulfill the order unless I was an OEM manufacturer. They gave me a full refund of my purchase price of approx. $850. In July of 2014, I found a Profusion Electronics outlet in the U.K. that was willing to sell me a pair for a similar price but would not have them in-stock until mid-September 2014.

In order to avoid these issues and delays, I decided to have the amps built using the somewhat older, but very highly reviewed, Abletec ALC1000-1300 modules instead. Even though my quest has been for quality performance over lowest priced, the reduced price of these modules ($560/pair)has not gone unappreciated since I'm now on a reduced and modest fixed income.

I am aware that the AMS modules may outperform the ALC modules but I'm not aware of anyone that has even heard both, much less written their impressions. If the new AMS modules do prove to outperform the ALC, I'm curious to know how much better and in how many areas.

Back to Audiozen's original question: "D-Sonic SOA Class-D Core Amps. The best Class-D?". I think Dennis has done a great job of recognizing the great performance and excellent value that some of the modern class D core amps represent. His main skills seem to be identifying the better class D modules and incorporating them into his products: Pascal modules in the M3-1500M, Abletec ALC-1000-1300 modules in the M-600M and B&O Ice modules in the multi-channel amps.

I believe D-Sonic now even offers the new Anaview AMS-1000-2600 modules in their new M600M-A model mono-blocks.

Since the D-Sonic M3-600M used the Abletec ALC-1000-1300 modules and the new M3-600M-A uses Anaview AMS-1000-2600 modules, Dennis is probably the ideal person to compare the two modules' performance.

In retrospect, if I knew the Anaview AMS-1000 modules would be available so quickly in the M3-600M-A mono-blocks, I probably should have just waited and bought a pair. Woops.

Thanks,
Tim

D-Sonic Dennis,

Any impressions on the performance of your 600M vs 600M-A mono-blocks you'd care to share? Are there any significant differences at all?

Thanks,
Tim
Hi all,

Thought I'd post to let everyone know I'm still planning on giving my impressions of my new mono-blocks utilizing the Abletec/Anaview ALC-2600-1300 modules.

Unfortunately, I am still awaiting delivery of my amps as of today, Sept. 27th 2014. I'm not certain of the exact cause of the latest delay but suspect James Romeyn may have experienced another surge in Hypex NCore 400 based amp build orders, which he told me he's still receiving from customers literally located around the world. He's also stated that the Hypex amps are easier to build than the Abletec amps due to much better existing instructions, documentation and customer support along with a lack of availability of very useful wiring harnesses like Hypex offers. He, therefore, must either make individual connecting cables or build his own harnesses.

I will call or email James on Monday requesting an explanation and eta.
I'll try and update as things develop.
Later,
Tim
Hi Guido,

The new NAD looks very interesting. But I'm kind of committed to the Abletec now, since I've already bought the modules, amp cases,connectors, etc.
I'm not too stressed yet; the delay has allowed me to be able to pay in cash once they're completed.
I was going to call James today for an update but got diverted. I'm going to try and get an update tomorrow.

Thanks,
Tim
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share an update I recently posted on Dec. 23rd of 2014. It was on a thread I originally started months ago on my new class D amp quest called "HYPEX,PASCAL OR ABLETEC". Here it is:

12/23/14 Update:

I received my D-Sonic M3-600M monoblocks, containing the Abletec ALC-1000-1300 power modules, a few weeks ago. My original plan was to place each amp on the carpeted floor atop spiked maple amp stands 6" inside each speaker. To increase vibration isolation, however, I bought a low rise audio cabinet to accommodate both amps. This rack is low (only 14" tall)and wide (5 ft) and has a maple wood top with front pull-down doors that conceal my surround amps. The rack sits directly below a wall-mounted 65" hdtv, which leaves a 10" space between the top of the maple rack platform and the bottom of the tv above. One amp, each atop its own maple amp stand with brass cone footers, is positioned on each end of the rack platform near each speaker, with my source positioned between the amps.

After delivery, I started to break them in slowly using satellite tv with a 1-2 hour exception that evening when we watched a war movie, "Lone Survivor", on HBO when I had the volume set at about theater level throughout. The new amps sound very similar to my former ClassD Audio 440CS amp, with a dead quiet background and an accurate sound but with even more detail and much more powerful dynamics. These amps definitely excel in ht duties since they are very powerful, run cool and are relatively small.

I've played almost all of my familiar music on these amps over the past 2 weeks, stored as APE files for cds and FLAC files for a handful of 24bit/96khz downloads. I would characterize the music playback as very smooth but with very good detail at the same time. My previous amp had these same qualities but I have the sense that the noise floor is now even lower with the D-Sonics and this made the smoothness and detail of the sound more obvious. Clear improvements were evident in the sound stage illusion and dynamics. The sound stage was just as wide and deep but images are more solid, dimensional and stable. I;m now able to concentrate on individual musicians/instruments and distinctly hear variations in tone and volume on good recordings. This is new to me and I find it really adds to my musical enjoyment. The D-Sonics produced the same illusion of 'being in the room', or 'the musicians being in my room', as my former amp did but with even more intensity and realism. The In general, I'd say the new amps have elevated my system's music playback performance, and my enjoyment, by a significant amount.

I stated previously that I'd update at regular intervals and report on changes I notice as the amps 'break-in'. However, I honestly haven't noticed any changes in performance thus far. Either there's been no audible changes yet or my hearing may not be as sensitive as I thought. It could be the aging process,I'm 56 now, and can't remember my last hearing test. Anyway, I'm not going to stop listening to music, so I'll try and stay alert for any subtle changes I notice and report back when I do on this thread.

Over the past few months, I've also been involved in trying to upgrade my system's bass performance. It's still fairly good, but I'm using a 20 plus year old Synergistics passive sub to augment the bass response for speakers that only go down to 37 hz. I purchased a replacement bass system that is scheduled to arrive within the next 2 days. It consists of 4 67 pound passive subs powered by a separate amp. After an extensive search, I bought James Romeyn's demo DEBRA bass system that entails a fairly elaborate setup procedure.

If anyone's interested, I'll probably be starting a new thread on this bass system in the next few days. The system claims accurate bass response down to 20hz,+ or-/3db or less. I'll be using this for both ht and music. The pictures and description listed on the link below are of the demo system I bought:

Go to www.jamesromeyn.com. Click on "Audiophile Gear" and then on "DEBRA Bass System". that thread

I don't want to update this thread every time I update my original thread since it would be too redundant and confusing. I will continue to follow this very interesting thread but this will be my last post where I copy and paste updates from that thread. Just in case anyone's interested.

Thanks,

Tim
Kbuzz:

"My Bryson 9b runs a little to warm for my current set up, seriously thinking about a channel d sonic. Do they run warm I need cabinet placement"

Hi Kbuzz,

My D-Sonic M3-600M amps, even after hours of high volume usage, never get above luke-warm to the touch. I think these, or most any class d amps, are ideal for cabinet placement. Low heat is one of the main advantages of class d amps.

Will they sound as good as your Bryston? I've never used your specific amp, so I cannot say; but I can say these amps are superior, in every meaningful performance category, to my previously owned class A/B Aragon 4004 amp that I considered decent, even though it weighed 85 lbs. and could get hot to the touch. The D-Sonic weigh 15 lbs. each and never get hot. To be fair, however, my D-Sonics are in well ventilated positions atop amp stands on an open/top rack shelf. I use another class d amp, a ClassD Audio 440CS amp in bridged mono mode, in a totally enclosed rack position for a cc and it never gets more than luke-warm, either.

There are several class d stereo and mono amps, at good prices, that would be good fits for your needs.
Tim
Hi Mikela8,

Congratulations, seems like you have your new theater's amplification covered. I think you made a very good decision going with D-Sonic amps; detailed, neutral, dynamic and effortless sound emerging from a dead quiet background produced from small, lightweight boxes that only become mildly warm no matter how hard or long they're driven. Ideal, high-end and amplifiers for both HT and music at budget prices.

Enjoy,
Tim
Respected/Roger,

I haven't compared these 2 amps directly but have indirectly:

I own, and previously used a Class D Audio SDS-440 as my main amp in my system. Class D audio's owner, Tom Ross, told me my amp and the SDS-470C amp sound very similar.

I currently use a pair of D-Sonic M3-600M mono-block amps in my system. These amps use Anaview/Abletec power modules and the D-Sonic 800S amp use Pascal modules. D-Sonic's owner, Dennis Deacon, has stated the Anaview/Abletec and Pascal modules sound very similar.

So, given the above, I'll describe the differences I noticed between the CDA 440 and the D-Sonic M3-600M amps:

Both are neutral in character and have smooth but also very detailed midranges and treble. Although the CDA440 has above average bass response and dynamics, these are the 2 areas I noticed were superior with the D-Sonic M3-600 amps. D-Sonic's bass is more extended, textured and detailed. I can discern different bass instruments more easily and clearly now.

D-Sonic's dynamics are also better. I can now clearly discern volume and tonal changes on individual instruments and vocals within the sound stage while these changes are more massed through the CDA amp.

The D-Sonic's soft to loud dynamics are also strikingly improved, which is very noticeable on HT and well recorded music (usually much better on hi-resolution omputer audio FLAC files at 24bit/96khz). However, the increase in power from the CDA's 440 watts to the D-Sonic's 1,200 watts per channel may be a main cause.

These improvements are subtle but very enjoyable. You'll need to decide if bass and dynamics gains are worth the extra money. Remember, this is not a direct comparison of the amps you're considering so your mileage may vary.

In my opinion, both of your amp choices are extraordinary audio bargains, delivering excellent performance at a very reasonable price. I think you'd enjoy either one and maybe you could just let your tastes and budget decide.

Hope this helped a bit,
Tim
Syot,

Very nice system. Both of your Youtube videos sounded very good even on my laptop with headphones, amazing.

Your room also looks very nice although the room is quite dark. I'm finding it difficult to make out everything; I can see the Rowland DAC but don't know what's directly above it.

I like your room treatments, too. Can you tell me what wall diffusor panels you're using and how much they cost?

Thanks,
Tim