Curious Why Benz Micro Slid Into Obscurity

I remember there was a time when Benz Micro was one of the more prominent cartridge manufacturers out there. The Ace and Glider sure were popular cartridges. Then there was a hiatus in production. The company recognition seems to have never recovered. There are still new cartridges for sale on the various sites. But none of ther upper tier cartridges seem to gather the same recognition or praise that the earlier cartridges did. 

Is perception of them changed that much, or is it the fact that the brand has aged out? Are the designs that dated to where people no longer believe quality and value are there?

neonknight

Dear @mulveling : Maybe no distributor in USA or Europe but any one of us can buy a new LPS for less than 3k. As a fact when some one ask for cartridges in a higher level price range than what posted lewm I recomended. Problem is that for some time now no one ask in this forym about cartridge recomendation in that price range and that’s all. Btw, I think is the only today cartridge that comes with its FR/separation chart.

@rauliruegas - Yes, that's all very true. I also think these "gray market" Benzes (so to speak) are an excellent deal. I do wonder about rumors circling Benz, and worry this "under the radar" recommendation might dry up at some point, which would be sad. 

I find it intriguing that they build their cartridge frames out of brass versus many of the more exotic materials being used.

@neonknight IIRC it's only the LPS and Gullwing models which use brass frame elements, and this accounts for the LPS's massive 16g (Ebony shell adding its contribution too). Many tonearms are not be able to accommodate an LPS with stock counterweight, so check on that before ordering one.

In my experience so far, exotic cartridge materials don't necessarily correlate into better sound. Good old metals like aluminum and steel (and brass) can be fabulous body materials. I've also liked titanium (maybe that's slightly exotic?). Woods are OK; I've liked some better than others. Stones are really neat but it's only Koetsu doing that (vintage Kisekis aside). I've NOT been a fan of carbon fiber anywhere in the analog chain.

@mulveling 

Aidis is using some petrified materials, which is closer to stone than anything else. 

You can get a Benz Ruby 3 in a Cardas Myrtle wood body.  Cardas sells them as a Myrtle Heart cartridge.

I owned and enjoyed a Benz Ruby 2 for many years, even today I miss some of what it could do. Part of the reason ( a big part?) that these cartridges are not so common today is due to their distributorship issues of the past in the US. Before I acquired my current Lyra, I wanted to buy a Benz LPS MR, BUT there was no way to get one locally, or even nationally, at the time. Today, i would still consider this cartridge if I was shopping in the $3-4K price range. OTOH, it is true that most any of the Lyra's will be more resolving than the Benz's.