Crossover-less Speakers

I'd like to hear from those of you who transitioned to crossover-less speakers. I have a pair of Thiel CS 2 2s. I like 'em but I'm curious about the full-range crossover-less speaker types. I'd like to know what speaker you have and what speaker you traded up from. Are you getting the full range from your spkrs? Are you experiencing any peaks and valleys in the frequency response? Are you happy with the lows or are you augmenting with a powered sub? Thanks.
128x128mdeblanc
There are also multiple driver speakers that are still crossoverless. The Bose 901 comes to mind! But heaven forbid that anyone mention that as an option.
Even the 'breakup' phenomenon that Eldartford mentioned is minimized by the use of multiple 'small' drivers.
Albeit the 901s are difficult to set up properly in a room (in spite of the marketing that says these speakers are very easy to set up), when they are set up properly, with the help of an RTA, their sound can be quite satisfactory and seamless. My 'B' room set up features these speakers and they are flat from 25-10K Hz, with a rolloff above 10K that I inposed on them for a more natural sound. No crossover distortion there!
After the chuckling has subsided, maybe one should consider the 901s as a legitimate candidate in the search for a 'crossoverless' driver(s) speaker!

Bob P.
Inpepinnovations...My Bose 901s are still in their boxes waiting for my pool room to be finished. It's a huge room with cathedral ceiling, hard surfaces all around, and little furniture, and I am working on a hunch that the 901s will have a synergy with that acoustic environment.
Eldartford, you should use one of your RTAs to help in the set-up. The 901s, due to their reflecting and non-parallel driver baffles, tend to have less concurrent nodes and thus averaging of microphone placement tends to be less critical.
The high-frequency contouring offered by the equalizer will be quite handy in your highly reflective environment, I suspect.
Inpepinnovations...Yes, I plan to do that. I also wonder if the Behringer DEQ2496 can emulate the Bose equalizer that comes with the speakers. Also, I will find out what the equalization curve of the Bose unit is. This seems to be a deep dark secret.
>>10-02-07: Mrtennis
i have heard zu speakers several times at ces. what is the big deal<<

Good point Mrt.

I read a lot of reviews and for the life of me will never understand the ineptitude of some reviewers.

Know what I mean?