Counterpoint Preamp Upgrade Sonic Improvements

I am looking into upgrading a Counterpoint SA-5000 and was looking to see who has experienced a preamp upgrade from Mile Elliott (or other) and what the sonic differences were. Please explain what upgrades you had performed and the sonic differences you are hearing significant or slight. Would you do the upgrade again or buy a different preamp? I am especially interested in knowing if you had also had any issues with your Counterpoint preamp such as noise, hum or failures. I only use the preamp as a line stage and not for TT playback.

Thanks and Happy Listening.
bigkidz
The side mounted tube base is very delicate on the earlier counterpoint models.

IMHO, The SA5000 is the peak of the counterpoint history. It might be even better than the SA-11 cost no object model. A lot of more thoughts were implemented in the SA5000 because of the "heat" issue in the SA-11
Had the 1000 basic upgrade about 2 yrs ago.Also had a stock 3000 for 10 yrs.Both sound very good,but I cannot compare because of time between listening years.Overall I am very happy with all his stuff over the years,also had a sa 12 and sa20 amp that were good.Sorry for the vagueness,my mind wanders alot,good luck,Bob
Hello Bigkidz,
I have had a few Counterpoint preamps and have upgraded a couple as well. The models are SA-3.1 upgraded, SA-1000 upgraded 1 only (3 of these), SA-3000. The Counterpoint equipment gives you the best bang for the buck, as stock units they sound good but once they have been upgraded they sound very musical and quiet. Mr. Elliott has done a very good job on the design which comes out in his upgrades. I upgraded some of the preamps and amps I have owned and they just blew me away due to the before and after difference. Since most of his preamps are Hybrids the power supply to me is the key and will make the biggest difference along with the Volume/Balance control that I have noticed. I have totally upgraded the 3.1 preamp and this came out very very nice and the SA-1000 that I'm still fine tuning sounds great and quiet. If you like the basic type of sound you get from the Counterpoint equipment then you will love the upgrades from Mike Elliott. One thing that people don't understand that is the prices seems very expensive but you have to remember is that the parts he uses are expensive the labor you have to go through on some of these preamps just to get to replace the parts is very time comsumming as I know from upgrading mine (SA-1000 a pain) also you are having the man who designed the equipment doing the upgrades just to name a few and this doesn't include operating cost to due this type of work. After I was done doing the upgrade on the SA-3.1 the parts came out to over $500.00. Do the upgrades in steps power supply first because if the power isn't right no matter what parts you use it will not sound that good. Hope this helps you out!

Steve.