Could Class D really be that good?

I've heard statements praising modern class D amplifiers all the time but was sort of hesitant to try. Lately, one particular model caught my eye, the Fosi V3, which costs sub $100 but is praised for having refined sound like class A/B. To fulfill my curiosity, I quickly ordered one and tried it with my Burchardt S400II and Wharfedale Linton speakers. Basically, this is a neutral sounding amp but, to my surprise, the sound is clean, open, airy, with full mids, wide soundstage, good imaging/separation, with nearly null traces of the edginess, dryness, or lean sound that traditional class D amplifiers have. The background is just as quiet as my current systems. The core is the TPA 3255 chip from TI and comes with a 32v, 5A power block, which is supposed to deliver approximately 65 watts per channel (into 8 ohms). It drives the S400II/Linton without any hesitation, as well as my 130-watt-per-channel high-current Parasound A23. Very impressive.

Measurement is not everything. However, according to the lab test results, when operated under 10-60 watts, the distortion level (THD) is below 0.003%, better than a lot of high-end (price) gears. I am going to build around it for my fourth system with upgraded op-amp and LPS. I believe it will outperform my current mid-end (price) amplifiers.

I know, I know, quite a few Audiogoners' systems are above $100k, and mentioning this kind of little giant that costs a fraction could be rather embarrassing. But I thought this is just like gold digging with a lot of surprises and fun. Don't you think?

lanx0003

@lanx0003 In the not too distant, I will put up a link to a Build of the latest Purifi design I have linked previously within this thread.

There are already some build tweaks already known for this design and these are being incorporated into the build I am following.

When all is in use, I will ad the link to the build thread.

This as a design will be cheaper than the Audiophonics Option and be a few steps forward in the design choices. It may even be cheaper as a commission build, if the DIY idea is not appealing.

@pindac Please forward the link once you have it. I also dived into the DIY project based on Purifi 1ET400A and Hypex NC400. I am particularly interested in the hybrid one with tube buffer made by VTV. Although its price tag is relatively pricier, marrying a tube buffer might be a rather good idea. The idea is not new and, the more I think about it, the more I feel it is doable. We could biamp a tube amp (or low-wattage class A) and these powerful class D modules, where the tube amp/class A is used for the tweeter/midrange and the class D is used for the bass driver.  What do you think?

Post removed