Contemporary Classical Composers - new discoveries

I’ll start with my most recent discovery…Valentin Silvestrov. I’ve been going thru some of this Ukrainian composer’s work and I have to say I’m impressed.
Highly recommend to check out the following albums a starting point…

What are some of your favorites?

128x128audphile1

@mahgister I get weepy watching Bogart in In A Lonely Place which stars Bruckner's symphony no.5, 4th movement.  Most Bruckner symphonies have great meaning to me as well.  

I have an acquaintance who is 84 and in feeble condition who needs to dispose of his about 800 to 1000 renaissance choral LPs. I am not an aficionado and if you are interested in an excellent collection at low cost, I can provide you with his contact information.  

For some brilliant religious Jewish choral music composed by a jazz/classical pianist in both lyrical and dramatic vein, this link Aminadav Aloni provides some free and great music.  He was like Beethoven of modern choral Jewish music whereby he used traditional/required thematic lyrics and music structures but developed them in a modern harmonic and rhythmic structure, incorporating jazz, pop and other modern forms. Search – HMSI  The S'Fatai Tiftach 13 choral works begin shrouded in mystery and extend to heartfelt and heartrending beauty.  Always with a hummable melody.

There are other live/current Jewish music composers who compose in grandiose schemes such as Meir Finkelstein (you apparently know Lucas Richman) and all jazz themes (jazz pianist and arranger) Chris Harden and all genres, Michael Issacson.  

Thanks very much for the recommendation all unknown to me...

I will look for some...

For your friend albums i keep no more cd nor any vinyls...

Me deepest thaqnks for interesting suggestions....

@mahgister I get weepy watching Bogart in In A Lonely Place which stars Bruckner's symphony no.5, 4th movement.  Most Bruckner symphonies have great meaning to me as well.  

I have an acquaintance who is 84 and in feeble condition who needs to dispose of his about 800 to 1000 renaissance choral LPs. I am not an aficionado and if you are interested in an excellent collection at low cost, I can provide you with his contact information.  

For some brilliant religious Jewish choral music composed by a jazz/classical pianist in both lyrical and dramatic vein, this link Aminadav Aloni provides some free and great music.  He was like Beethoven of modern choral Jewish music whereby he used traditional/required thematic lyrics and music structures but developed them in a modern harmonic and rhythmic structure, incorporating jazz, pop and other modern forms. Search – HMSI  The S'Fatai Tiftach 13 choral works begin shrouded in mystery and extend to heartfelt and heartrending beauty.  Always with a hummable melody.

There are other live/current Jewish music composers who compose in grandiose schemes such as Meir Finkelstein (you apparently know Lucas Richman) and all jazz themes (jazz pianist and arranger) Chris Harden and all genres, Michael Issacson.  

1. Love Aarvo Paart, but no idea how he comes out of Schoenberg (atonal)

2. Michael Torque (eg album of color music including Bright blue) great fun.

3. Einaudi, currently alive, beloved music, speaks to human heart.

4. No longer alive, but Hovaness wrote many wonderful symphonies.

A little off-topic, but I was pleased to see a reference above to Arrigo Boito's great opera on the Faust legend, entitled Mefistofele.  

It's not contemporary.  But it is one of the greatest operas, musically stunning, sweepingly melodic, richly orchestrated  and lyrically fascinating (based on Goethe).  In my view, it far surpasses Gounod's Faust.  I strongly recommend the recording with Caesar Siepi and Renata Tebaldi.  Excellent sound, btw, even though recorded in the 1950s.

If you like Verdi (Boito was a librettist for Verdi) or Puccini, Boito's Mefistofele is a must.