Considering Vandersteen 3a Signatures

I have Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S which I enjoy but was recently considering trying the Vandersteen 3a Signatures.  I love the soundstage and the holographic feel of the Spatial's but I'm seeking greater clarity in the treble and more detail in the mids.  I am driving these speakers with a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum with KT120 tubes.  The source is mostly analog via VPI Prime, Dynavector Karat and Parasound Halo JC3+.  Also digital via Auirender N100 and Schiit Gumby.  I listen to a wide spectrum of music, but mostly in the rock and jazz genre.

Should I expect a major difference in sound?  Any other ideas for speakers that would fit the bill?
128x128pg62

Showing 8 responses by tomic601

IF. possible try to source your acoustic panels locally, shipping can often double costs. PM me as I have worked w probably ten companies across USA.

as an alternative to the 5a consider the VLR-Signature with the carbon tweeter and a sub 3 or two x 2wq
this works IF you have pre out / pwr in integrated OR put filter caps in integrated ( typically at factory or solid technician- Ayre does this for Ayre/Vandersteen owners for example )

this allows you to get a VERY refined tweeter / mid and with sub 3 Eleven bands of EQ to game room and with your integrated powering only above 80-100 cycles pretty fantastic sound...

just an option amoung thousands...how fun....
both the 2 and 3 also offer high precision potentiometer on rear panel to tailor the sound to room and I suppose taste.

minimum power is always a great debate and intensely dependent on room, music, spl level AND importantly duty cycle. I ran 3a sig with a PS Audio 100 C which is SS in a moderate size room w rock, but I dont listen much above peaks of 95 db and the duty cycle is low....

a KT120 is probably the minimum....and agree for many is not enough power....

again, OP if you can get out and cast a wider net for audition that would be good. Enjoy the music !! 

Nice system btw all the ingredients for great

have you rolled better small signal tubes into The Rogue ???? Andy at Vintage tube could help, especially if you mentioned more detailed treble/mid

Andy is a zen master

But before buying, get Jim Smiths excellent book an getting better sound

spend some time in the near field, does that fix the detail you crave ?
if so, invest in room treatment

consider a bit more toe in for detail

kill those first reflections with absorption including the ceiling, definitely the floor

get a Leica disto 2 and obsess on setup

the 3a-Sig tweeter ( and for that matter mid ) are the same as the venerable 5a
nobody I know thinks the 5a is “sibilant “... but hey, listening would be good. I suppose I could be just a fan boy having owned both...
i know guys getting great sound on 3a-Sig w Parasound, Rogue, Threshold and Music Reference power amps.

try to listen to a bunch of stuff

have fun

enjoy the music !!!!