Concerning high end audio names in new cars

It made sense to me when high end audio manufactures started selling their brand names to the likes of BMW. I really had to look twice when I saw the Jeep Grand Wagoneer on a commercial with large blue MacIntosh meters on the dash! I went to the website just to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me. It's just fluff of course. I've been in several vehicles with supposedly high end audio systems. I wasn't impressed  with any of them. I wonder what impact if any the Mac meters will have on the general public. I hope audiophiles steer clear of this model car as it could prove to be a distraction for sure. 

128x128jnovak

Brand exposure, ie. Not a lot of the average population know McIntosh from Mark Levinson….

Also, I’ve never heard any car stereo that would be up to the standard of the average audiophile, also I don’t think automobiles are a great place for critical listening. That’s my two cents. 

Wrong. The base system in a previous Lexus and  another current model was/is worlds batter. Not even close.

I have the Levinson system in my 2009 Lexus LS.  It was way better sounding to me than the basic audio system.  I listened quite a while to both.  I wanted the better one. To me it was worthwhile upgrade and I have enjoyed it for years.  It is still a car surrounded by glass.  I did not buy it because of blue meters.

I have a new Alfa Romeo Giulia with the upgraded 14 speaker Harmon Kardon system and it sounds great. My previous Alfa had the same but the bass used to vibrate. That’s fixed in the new one. It’s not like listening to my home system but pretty darn good.

Those meters are ABSURD,. What a nice size GPS screen, I hope it has optional use. Have you seen a Tesla display, holy crap.

Any decent sound system, in a large car/truck should have a fader for front/rear balance, but it is nice if it is balanced by default. I often need to reduce the volume in my Volvo back seat when someone is there. I used to boost the rear in any vehicle when the kids were young.

The T-Birds, both old and new had settings to automatically lower the volume when you slowed down/stopped. The old one was a rheostat connected to the gas pedal, worked better than this new one.

The new one, 2005, you can tell it if 1 or 2 people are in, i.e. adjusts for the driver’s position.

Who the heck knows if another maker’s speakers would be better.

If you let my niece drive your car, you better know where to readjust the bass boost because she will find it!

I had to stop reading these answers. I’m sure there are a couple of experienced, auto sound aficionados in the group, but those that aren’t, started wading in, and it quickly got maddening. I don’t have the time or inclination to even start the book of explanations and education necessary for this to conversation to make any headway. Better to just keep going. I’m in the middle of trying to buy a HT system and I’ll be heading back down that street. Thanks to my email for suckering me into this.🖕