Complete vinyl system, TT to speakers, for $1500?

We just returned from a 2-week visit to our son who lives in Tokyo.  While there, we met a nice young woman who told me she would like to acquire an audio system with the express intent of playing LPs in her apartment.  Her budget is $1500 or less, as noted.  It's been years since I ever had to think in such budget terms, and when I did think about a $1500 system, it was back in the 70s when you could really buy something decent for that total amount.  (You could also buy a car for only a little bit more.) So, I am here for advice; she needs TT, tonearm, cartridge, phono stage, amplifier, and speakers. Thanks.

lewm

Showing 1 response by petaluman

The active speaker route simplifies the system, but there are a couple of drawbacks.  The lack of a pre/integrated amp makes it less input versatile, as you've noted.  Even if she's committed to a phono-only system, you need to know the chosen speaker's sensitivity to know if it will work with the turntable phono amp.

They're also less reliable, especially in the smaller sizes.  Putting the amp in the speaker box makes heat more of an issue, for both the power & processing circuitry.  They're more awkward to handle, so you need to keep away the careless curious.