Complete vinyl system, TT to speakers, for $1500?

We just returned from a 2-week visit to our son who lives in Tokyo.  While there, we met a nice young woman who told me she would like to acquire an audio system with the express intent of playing LPs in her apartment.  Her budget is $1500 or less, as noted.  It's been years since I ever had to think in such budget terms, and when I did think about a $1500 system, it was back in the 70s when you could really buy something decent for that total amount.  (You could also buy a car for only a little bit more.) So, I am here for advice; she needs TT, tonearm, cartridge, phono stage, amplifier, and speakers. Thanks.

lewm

Showing 3 responses by mahler123

Sony makes some entry level tables.  Pair with powered speakers and whatever cartridge comes with the table and done.  Look for Japanese of Chinese manufacturers selling  there.  

Now your question seems to be : will the built in phono stage on a budget turntable drive the amps in powered speakers?. Yes, it would have been helpful to frame it that way originally. My answer is…I don’t know. However, one can get a reasonable mm phono stage for under $200 here. I would try without first, and if the results are found wanting then add one

@panzrwagn 

I would totally stick with Japanese products to avoid that situation and given the limited budget, shipping costs.  It’s not like the country is an electronic backwater